Where is the indicator relay?

mp77

Sorry if this has been answered before.

My indicators are playing up, when first using them it takes about 4 seconds for them to start up, right blinks as soon as you push the button over but then doesn't start for four seconds, left one just has the delay.  Bit annoying for quick turning decisions!

When I got the bike the regrec had gone, I've since replaced it but I think it may have buggered the indicator relay, so I have a new one. But, and I'm sure I'm just being dim, I can't find the damn thing to replace it. I don't want to spend all day taking off all of the fairing off, I've already broke a fair few  of those annoying black clips.

So can someone please tell me where I'll find it?

5th gen VFR800fi 1999.

• Member Contributer

The relay is under the front fairing behind the meters. It's more likely the switch. I had one fall apart recently. Fortunately I was able to just put it back together since that part is NLA from Honda.

+1 for the switch.

When I had the same symptoms it turned out to be the switch that needed a strip down and clean - I discovered this after removing the front fairing to check the relay 😞

• Member Contributer

I've been experiencing exactly the same thing except my left works nearly every time, given a solid push. The right one takes two pushes and still has a delay. Cleaning the switches is at the top of my to-do list for spring prep. The machine has 68,000+ milea and counting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The OEM grease is called dielectric or silicone grease; it is non-conductive.  Vaseline is apparently also non-conductive, but it has a much lower melting point, which means it can leak out and no longer perform its anti-corrosive function.  Use dielectric grease.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
On 4/18/2020 at 9:54 AM, Daimster said:

It's your left switch. You have to open it and clean the contacts of the switch. Use some acid free Vaseline to grease the contacts a bit!

I had the same issue. Now it's solved!

I went through my switch assembly two years ago and lubed it all up with silicone grease.  Has worked flawlessly since.

• Member Contributer

The other thing to note, however, is that when you "clean the contacts" with solvent you wash away the silicone grease that was there protecting the contacts from corrosion.  So, whilst cleaning is good, cleaning and replacing the grease is a much better idea in the long run!

Ciao,

JZH

Archived