Riorider

Riorider

• Member Contributer

this may help a little...

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/bmw/bmw-f900r-2020-review-spec-price

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2020-bmw-f900r-first-ride-motorcycle-review?utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=6146887&PublisherName=VigLink&cjevent=2c15f29278ed11ea802c00e40a240610

f900r = another bmw with a hard seat and snatchy throttle.

"One result of the wet weather is that I am able to tell you with great confidence that the F 900 R’s rain mode is pointless. As standard, the bike comes with two riding modes — Rain and Road — and you can pay more to get Dynamic and Dynamic Pro. You will never want to use Rain. BMW should rename it “Sadness.” Choose this mode only if your life is full of too much joy, or if you’re lending the bike to a friend and you want him to give up motorcycling"  :laughing6-hehe::comp13:

• Member Contributer

What is your preferred riding style? What do you want out of the bike? Do you want to do your own maintenance on it or have the dealer do it? They're both fantastic machines, just different.

• Member Contributer

Have you test ridden them both?

If not, it's pointless asking others when we're talking about $7k+ as it's YOUR opinion of the ride that counts.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:29 AM, Skids said:

Have you test ridden them both?

If not, it's pointless asking others when we're talking about $7k+ as it's YOUR opinion of the ride that counts.

Have not ridden a VFR...

Ridden dirt and naked Japanese bikes whole life....will I really miss new ride modes....fly by wire....ad older now... do I need a slipper clutch banging in and out of Rocky Mtn tight road turns...is the VFR I want to take on a two week 2500 mile ride road trip...

34 minutes ago, Riorider said:

Have not ridden a VFR...

Ridden dirt and naked Japanese bikes whole life....will I really miss new ride modes....fly by wire....ad older now... do I need a slipper clutch banging in and out of Rocky Mtn tight road turns...is the VFR I want to take on a two week 2500 mile ride road trip...

If you love the v4, then the vfr is your ride.  I love the Honda v4. Wouldn't ride anything else.  I've ridden two week 5000 mile trips on it.  I've ridden a 1050 mile day on it for a certified ironbutt ride.  Had it up Pike's peak and on the Tail of the dragon.  Show me another bike that has a 250 mile per tank range, that offers all day comfort to cross the country, then is ready to tear up the mountain roads when you arrive.  

Will you feel the same way, I just can't tell you. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Riorider said:

Have not ridden a VFR...

If you can manage a VFR test ride, if you can, try to make it with one that has an aftermarket exhaust.  The sound is so intoxicating that on my first ride I was like "Wood" in Top Gun - "I'm gettin' a hard on!"  :woohoo:  Despite its complexities, the V4 is probably the most perfect motorcycle engine - narrow like a V twin, revs like an inline 4, well balanced and has a wide powerband.  The VFR may be the best all 'round design ever.  It's not good at being the best at anything, but it is the best at being good at everything.  For a track day, 4000 mile trip with luggage, rippin' through the twisties or just heading over to see the G.F., it can do it all.  Heck, when you arrive at the GF's,  it might even help you "get lucky"!  :wink:

• Member Contributer

Absolutely Ride Them Both. As already stated they are very different ride types and engines. Only you can decide based on price, the ride, looks, maintenance costs, where you want to travel, how the bike fits and feels to you. I will say the 8gen VFR is an incredibly reliable machine with the previous generation electrical issues all sorted.

We are all biased VFR nuts on this site, so what bike do you think we would want you to buy?:wacko:

• Member Contributer

The BMW F800XR looks like the ideal sports tourer, but with a 15.5 litre tank, won’t get you far without a refill. Fuel range on the Viffer is stupendous. I have done an 11,000km jaunt across Australia, and back, on mine and it performed flawlessly.

Also, the motors of the BMW F900R and XR are made in China. I know that should not be a problem, but the VFR800F motors must have a better pedigree. 

I have also been told, by a previous owner of a BMW parallel twin (now on a Tenere), that things like radiators can be mounted on plastic that can fail. In his words “a Japanese engineer would commit Hara Kiri” over some of the design flaws.

My 2014 VFR has close to 50,000kms on it and I was seriously considering the Bimmer as a replacement, but every time I ride the Red Rocket, I think it is the perfect all around bike. Sure, it doesn’t have a slipper clutch, cruise control or ride by wire, but it is a great bike and I can’t understand why it hasn’t sold in boat loads.

You are all right in your personal assessments...and I am against on anything made in China now....bring it all back to the US....

It's VFR 800, Yami Tracer 900....Triumph 800/900 Tiger....but...have always been Honda and Yamaha....that's where I'm at...Japanese.....my first bike....a Honda Trail 70...

If everyone here can ride in harmonic V4 style....without a slipper clutch....hell, none of my past bikes had slipper clutch or cruise control.   Which you can add to the VFR....guess I can too...

Rocket Red Deluxe 8th Gen

Archived