Did you remove your reflectors?

signal

Did you remove your Red and Yellow Side Reflectors?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Did you remove your Red and Yellow Side Reflectors?

I find the Red and Yellow side reflectors on bikes unsightly.  I realize its required for DOT compliance in the USA.  But I look at getting rid of them as an upgrade.  Thoughts?

I have LED lights where the reflectors were on the forks and license plates. My previous owners installed it so I bought it that way. Sorry, don’t know what brand or anything.

He even installed little lights in the bags (side and front) even so the bike is lit up well. Looks better during the day and much more visible at night.

23 minutes ago, Tiutis said:

I have LED lights where the reflectors were on the forks and license plates. My previous owners installed it so I bought it that way. Sorry, don’t know what brand or anything.

He even installed little lights in the bags (side and front) even so the bike is lit up well. Looks better during the day and much more visible at night.

You should post some pics of that, sounds really neat

• Member Contributer

The ones on the front forks looked bloody ugly, was the first mod I did on my 8gen - gone. (I don't ride at night anyway).

• Member Contributer

Technically you are required to have the front and rear reflectors, left and right sides of the bike, here in the U.S., but of course no one has ever been pulled over for such an infraction. I removed them, front and rear pairs, from my RC-51 as soon as I got it home, see below.

Have not yanked them from the Duc, but VFRD member crazybro advised me that some quality dental floss will separate them from the front fork tubes with no drama! YMMV

before:

IMG_2154.JPG

after:

fullsizeoutput_c10.jpeg

• Member Contributer

removed the front and rear but left the ones on my honda luggage, and on the luggage frames themselves when the bags are off (the reflectors are on a projection from the bracket, would probably look a little odd if taken off... and i ride with bags 95% of the time so you dont see them.  I wish they weren't on the luggage itself but they are drilled through so its just what it is)

6gen

• Member Contributer

We have none of this crap in the Netherlands; sidecases have a VFR logo instead of reflectors.

Bought an undertray for my SP2 (RC51); it has tabs for the reflectors. I use one for the road safety bell I was given yeeeeeaaaaars ago..

abell.jpg.d93e817c70b346f7c7e77f8c9cebae83.jpg

• Member Contributer

0513191518a_HDR.thumb.jpg.bf22550ae54521326dcc1132c1d09d16.jpgThe PO of the bike removed the rear ones when he trimmed the rear fender, I removed the forward ones when I rebuilt the forks. I did add side turn signals as the oem ones are not visible from that angle. Why Honda did not wrap the lens around the fairing 35-50 mm to address that is only known to them. While in the harness I also added Fog/Driving lights and 3 extra brake lights as we can get zero visibility in the Spring and Summer with fog. I also end up driving at night, mostly in the Fall when it gets dark early at this latitude.  

• Member Contributer

Beautiful. Would love to see a front view of how you did your driving lights and which ones you used. Most days it's dark when I leave for work. 

TimW

New ones come with them even in the UK now, I believe. Mine didn't which saved me the trouble of removing them. One rear red one is the only legal requirement here, and that's just an obsolete law they haven't done away with as the legal reflector is tiny compared to 60 square inches of equally reflective yellow reg plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived