VTR front end conversion 3D plastic adapter

Diogo

• Member Contributer

Hello to all, I just finished my VTR forks and CBR brakes conversion, I won't write about that because too much is already discussed across the forum. But the fender adapters that's another story, Mello Dude stopped selling and alternatives were scarce. So I remembered my best friend works in 3D printing and voila! The file will be shared so will instructions material etc the file will be free but if you can make a donation to the guy it would be great. Some pictures, I used M6 nuts inserted in the side for the fender and M6 screws to the forks. It's a "special" plastic that's stands time and compression better than the usual stuff people print. This was the first prototype, we are going to tweak it a little more on the top, cut some extra material so that the fender does not need to be manipulated in order to insert all 4 screws. Rigth now the top ones are 2mm off to the side because we did not count on the top hitting the fender. If you look at Mello Dude version it's diagonal.

IMG-20200330-WA0033.jpg

IMG-20200402-WA0055.jpg

IMG-20200402-WA0054.jpg

IMG-20200402-WA0052.jpg

IMG-20200402-WA0053.jpg

IMG-20200402-WA0050.jpg

IMG-20200402-WA0051.jpg

IMG-20200402-WA0048.jpg

IMG-20200402-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20200402-WA0049.jpg

IMG-20200330-WA0033.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks like you're learning all the stuff I had to figure out on mine. The angles on the bosses are there because if strait across it interferes with the fender. 

- I developed this from with starting with a VFR fork and VTR fork and then paying a CMM tech to measure the points on each fender mount hole relative to

the centerline of the forks, and then the intersection of the centerline of the axle. -- Then with all that, I developed the dimensions to mimic the OEM mounting -exactly.

Every hole, thread, boss with angle and backside cutaway has a functional purpose.  Probably why my first machinist quit on me, and 

other machine shops would charge triple my original costs.(from quotes) - They would have to go around $209 a set if I was to go for batches of ten....  

• Member Contributer

Guess you did luck out......Thanks for the photo, I do get a bit of a shit eating grin seeing my parts on other guys bikes.

I did the same for my front end conversion.   I was able to prototype it in 2 tries.  I used calipers to get my dimensions since I had the fork and the fender.  I believe I used ABS at that point but now I'm using PETG.  Less warpage.

1161156625_3dprintedvtrforkwvfrfenderadapters1.jpg.4e325d7b30d055fcdc22f0beb708e47a.jpg

880017796_3dprintedvtrforkwvfrfenderadapters2.jpg.0b503b83f9cf4f2d78f11c8b5a0afdb3.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Mello Dude please note we made a second version already used by another person. That mimics what you were saying, so install is now flawless. 3D printing allows to cut costs and make prototypes for almost nothing. I did find the original CAD file online but we changed many aspects. You were the inspiration and I did try to buy your's first but you did not have them anymore...

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
14 hours ago, brucethebarstard said:

Hi Diogo,excellent work,will you be making these available for sale?Im sure there will be a lot of interest in them.

When I did mine, I thought there would be plenty of interest. But for naught, not enough to keep making them, even at a very fair price.   -

- I still could, but would have to be sets of 10 and the price tag would have to go up.... 

Archived