VFR800(5th gen) vs. VFR750?

MJH

Just had a couple quick questions, as I am both new on here, and will soon be new as a VFR owner ... will be getting either a 5th or 6th gen. in the upcoming weeks, depending on several things?

Anyways ... I found a cheap parts bike, and just wanted to know how much is interchangeable between say a '90-'97, and the years following those models. I'm leaning towards a '98-00, in which more stuff is likely interchangeable from the previous model, but found a really good 2002 that may win out? The "parts bike" is a '95, and is fairly complete, minus bodywork and carbs(has upper/frt fender only). Has a ton of miles on it(200k). Mainly, I am looking at it for the suspension(Ohlins rear)/, brakes, wheels. etc. Maybe even eventually build a "hot rod engine" from the donor, but that is prob me just being overly optimistic??

Mainly just wanted to know about the shock/swingarm, forks, wheels, brakes. The rest I might just pass on to someone who needs it more than myself?

Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, RC36B said:

Short answer: nothing

I'll have to disagree, "nothing" would include "everything" ... and I am sure there is lots of bits and pieces that moved into the next gen. ... I won't get specific, but again, my question was about some specific items. No offense, but I will wait to see what else gets posted?

• Member Contributer

What he said.

There will be the odd bit here and there but I'd be surprised if it's more than 5% commonality.

• Member Contributer

The easiest way to get an idea about a part being interchangeable is to use a partsdatabase - e.g. cmsnl.com. Select a 1998 VFR 800. Find the parts you would want to replace.

Example:

BRKT SUB ASSY,R F with partnumber 06453MBG405

The tag on position 6-8 of the partnumber (known as Model Code) tell which model this part was originally used with - "MBG" is the VFR 800F RC46. So the chance is you can't use a RC36/2 part. The RC36/2 have the MZ7 tag for parts first introduced on this model.

You have to use common sense too - "big parts/assemblies" will usually only work on specified model whereas a brake pad with a "new" model tag may be compatible backwards.

Other VFR Model Codes can be found here (we don't have a list on VFRD?)

You will notice the RC46 have a lot of new parts - it was not at all a bored up VFR 750 with a new paint job... it really was a brand new bike

16 minutes ago, RC36B said:

The easiest way to get an idea about a part being interchangeable is to use a partsdatabase - e.g. cmsnl.com. Select a 1998 VFR 800. Find the parts you would want to replace.

Example:

The tag on position 6-8 of the partnumber (known as Model Code) tell which model this part was originally used with - "MBG" is the VFR 800F RC46. So the chance is you can't use a RC36/2 part. The RC36/2 have the MZ7 tag for parts first introduced on this model.

You have to use common sense too - "big parts/assemblies" will usually only work on specified model whereas a brake pad with a "new" model tag may be compatible backwards.

You will notice the RC46 have a lot of new parts - it was not at all a bored up VFR 750 with a new paint job... it really was a brand new bike

OK, thanks for the info. I know a lot of parts get superseded as far as part numbers when models change, but are essentially the same part with a "new number". Maybe I should had said, what can be made to fit, instead of what's a "direct replacement"? I'm sure many have gone through this in the past, but we're talking about bikes that are 20+ years old now ... most folks move forward, not backwards ... I tend to like older tech, since I'm an "older tech".

I know from my racing days, getting "creative" with "making stuff work", is a whole other story! And I am not a machinist by any stretch, but when you have piles of parts, you'd be shocked what can get accomplished. Just wondering if the few hundred dollars for pile of spares would be worthwhile ... the shock alone might be worth the asking price, if I can make it work, and not have to spend another few hundred rebuilding it, and getting what's needed for fit. If the ride height is adjustable, which I am sure it is, and the eye to eye mounting is close, the rest I can get figured out. Done it many times!

• Member Contributer

I get the feeling you really don't seek any advise - you have already made up your mind that select parts (see above) from a 95 VFR 750 can be made to fit the RC46. So, all I can say is... Park next to a VFR 750 and compare the parts you mention. I hope it works out for you 🙂

The whole exercise about not changing part numbers have to do with Honda being "cheap" - they want as few parts to service as many bikes as possible... this is a main reason why we can still get most parts to old bikes - they service a whole range of bikes!

For example... on my old VFR 750 the forks have a RING,OIL STOPPER with part number 51447KA4711. This part was first introduced on the 1981 CR 250 and is used on current models today. So the same part number for a part for almost 40 years...

• Member Contributer

There's nothing worthwhile you are going to swap from a 90-97 onto a 2000+ VFR. Forks, wheels, engine, frame, swingarm, shock, all different. Maybe if you can ID the rear shock you can see if it's adjustable to match the 5th gen shock length, but that's about it. 

Sounds more like you found a good 95 VFR to build a project from. Project or part out is all it sounds like you have.

• Member Contributer

+1, as the 94-97 bikes had 200+ changes from the previous version ('90-93), almost ground up re-do on the whole platform. Frame, engine, swing-arm, wheels, bodywork, and suspension were completely different. Then in 98 they redesigned the engine for fuel injection. The rest of the bike changed too.

Aside from mirrors and oil filters, only clips, nuts and bolts are the same. Buying a different generation bike for parts would not be very useful, unless you were gonna build a franken-bike hybrid....

• Member Contributer

You can swap a 4th gen rear wheel to a 5th gen, but why anyone would want to that is beyond me.   :blink:  Can't hardly give away a 4th gen rear wheel. 

• Member Contributer
On 4/2/2020 at 9:39 AM, RC36B said:

Example:

Despite not having been updated for a few years, I have to say that my list is better!  https://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/BHondaPCNs.htm

As for the OP's question, there are many parts that are interchangeable, but none of the big, important ones.  Commonly used on 3rd and 4th gens are the 5th gen mirrors (specifically, the Y2k versions thereof, which look more modern than the "condom" mirrors on the earlier bikes.)  Apart from the 3rd gen's 8-spoke rear wheel, that's really the only useful thing I can think of off-hand.

And no, Honda parts do not get re-issued with new part numbers when used on newer models.  Only if they are somehow different*.  Otherwise, the part number stays the same.  One of Honda's most common steering stem bearings (used on the VFR750s as well as the 5th gen) carry part numbers traceable to the 1986-87 CBR400RG-H (Aero/Hurricane) NC23.  Also see: https://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/BHondaPartNumbers.htm

* Please do not ask about the 1993 VFR750FP, because I have no idea why the PCN changed from MT4 to MY7!

Ciao,

JZH

Archived