Secondary Master Cylinder Green Filter Orientation

Hey Folks, new VFR owner here. I'm slowly working through the bleeding process for the braking system - had the "locked rear wheel" issue mentioned in some other threads that led to attempting to clean out the little green filter / check valve in the SMC. Well it fell out when disassembling, so not sure which direction it should go back in.

Can someone tell me if the larger or smaller screen on this part should be facing out? Just want to make sure this is correct to rule out as a variable in why I can't get any flow out of my PCV. 

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

AFAICR, the mesh side should face into the brake hose; in the body there's a one way sprung-ball valve that should flow into the SMC but not back, but there is also a tiny pin-hole sized relief port in the plastic body to allow fluid pressure to release back the other way to the hose.

When you apply the foot brake, you will be pressurising into the SMC as well which also adds pressure to the rear centre piston. It's a complicated system.

I have diassembled the PCV (I delinked my brakes so it was sitting around looking interesting but unneeded). There's nothing in there that can't be pulled apart, cleaned and reassembled. Let me know if you want more pictures.

IMG_0498.JPG

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, SoCalVeeFour said:

Yes, that is it! 

I currently have it in backwards (doh!). Interestingly, the brakes are functioning okay still. Looks like I'll be flipping it around and bleeding again.

If your brakes are fine and you're not leaking fluid, does it make any difference which way it's around? It's only a fine wire filter, shouldn't effect its operation whichever way it faces you would think?

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, Grum said:

If your brakes are fine and you're not leaking fluid, does it make any difference which way it's around? It's only a fine wire filter, shouldn't effect its operation whichever way it faces you would think?

There is also a check valve in the body which allows flow into the SMC but not to return except through the tiny bleed port.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Terry said:

There is also a check valve in the body which allows flow into the SMC but not to return except through the tiny bleed port.

Agree with you Terry, but wether the filter is around one way or the other how could that have any effect on the check valve, especially seeing the OP is not leaking fluid and the brakes are operating normally?

I got the bike with non-functioning brakes, so I don't have much of a baseline for what is correct. I went ahead and flipped it around and re-bled. It didn't seem like the SMC was pressurizing as I'd expect it to when manually activating, with the filter the correct way it does seem to firm up better now. 

This was the last issue to address of a months long project to get an abused and neglected VFR back on the road. Thanks for all the replies, she's ready to go now :beer:

Archived