Gear shift lever wont move

londontom

Hi guys!

I would ask your opinion/help about the next...

Strange thing happened with my bike. It seems my gear shift lever is jammed or something. Couple of days ago I couldnt start the bike...no neutral green light....gear shift lever not moving at all.

It was defenitely in neutral when I parked down.

It happened last summer once... after one week suddenly I was able to move the lever and put it into neutral and started the engine and used the bike for couple of months without any problem.

I asked couple of mechanics about this...no one has a clue.

What do you think guys? Has any of you ran into this kind of problem ever?

Many thanks in advance,

Tom

• Member Contributer

First, what year/ gen are you talking about? 

My 2014 has a weird issue where the gear indicator stops showing what gear I'm in and just shows - - .  At that point it's also difficult to get the bike into gear. It usually resolves itself after a few miles with shifting up and down as i ride. 

Don't know if it's a related issue. 

What's the condition of your clutch hydraulic system?

Have you tried cleaning / lubricating the linkage?

Does the transmission jump out of any gears on acceleration?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hi guys!

Thx for the reply.

Sorry...I forgot to mention... the is 98' FI.

"Does the transmission jump out of any gears on acceleration?" - never

"What's the condition of your clutch hydraulic system? Have you tried cleaning / lubricating the linkage?" - never had a problem so...I think it is in a good condition. I didnt cleaning the linkage.

Strange fault that is for sure. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys!

A quick update for you...in case you interested.. 🙂

Couple of days after my post a friend came along with a van to take the bike to a mechanic.

Since I park the bike uphill he pushed it from behind and I was holding the handlebar.

The bike would move only inches back and forth with the rear wheel blocked.

I've thought its a good time to try the gear shift lever to move... and success.

Using the clutch I did managed to put it into neutral. After that there was no problem to start the bike.

So basically what happened is while the bike was parked probably slided back a little and caused somehow the gear jump from neutral.

I know its bad english... sorry about it. 🙂

I cant feel anything wrong with the clutch, gears, gearbox while riding. Everything seem fine.

I am not sure its worth to take the bike apart now but I will consider it.

Thanks guys,

Tom

• Member Contributer

I have seen a time or two, not with my VFR, when a bike will appear to be in neutral, but will slip into gear

when the rear wheel is turned a bit. Not very common, but it can happen due to the design of the transmission

on most bikes.

It also sounds like, since you park your bike on a slope, that once the bike is in gear the pressure of the rear

wheel trying to turn will keep the shift lever from being able to move the dogs to shift to neutral. What you

did by accident, pushing the bike, caused the pressure to be released from the gears and the shift lever can now

move the dogs, and thus shift the gears. It's not unusual to have to roll the bike a little to "unlock" the gear

shift lever.

If you're parking on a slope, I would put the bike in gear and then let it roll backward so the transmission is

holding the bike, rather than the sidestand. Safer that way. Then just roll the bike forward a bit to allow the

gear shift lever to move.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

It happened to me while riding last summer. I was at the end of a 1000 mile 4 day trip, following my buddy on his 1998 VFR. Mines a 2006 VFR and my bike got stuck in a gear and wouldn’t come out for about 30 seconds. I was finally able to free it up and it’s been fine ever since. My buddy has 117,000 miles on his VFR and he said “ yeah, that can happen sometimes”!!!

yes, parking in gear on a slope will put a heavy load on the gears, making shifting difficult........and that's normal.  don't force the shift lever as it's possible to bend shift forks........and then you have real trouble.

Archived