Pilot Road 2 clearance

Blesk

• Member Contributer

If you liked the PR2 and like to save $$ Cycle Gear had fronts for $116. They're out of rears,  but I found those over on Bike Bandit.  Their fronts were more expensive so I only bought the rears there.

Don't know how many are left.  I bought two sets!   Lol

FOR THOSE CONCERNED ABOUT BUYING "OLD" TIRES:  I attended a workshop on tires and learned that with changes in the manufacturing process the coating on the tires changed. Tires are now good for "many years" if stored properly as long as the coating is intact. That is climate controlled, no extreme temps. I'm assuming reputable dealers take care of their stock. 

• Member Contributer

I had noticed Michelin is no longer listing them.   Road 2's have been my go-to tire  - going to miss 'em.  

It was a good tire but, let’s be honest, there are newer and just as good or better     tires for less money. No need to buy 5+ year old tires and hope they have need stored properly.  And the rubber gets hard regardless of storage over time. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I had noticed Michelin is no longer listing them.   Road 2's have been my go-to tire  - going to miss 'em.  

3 hours ago, Tiutis said:

It was a good tire but, let’s be honest, there are newer and just as good or better     tires for less money. No need to buy 5+ year old tires and hope they have need stored properly.  And the rubber gets hard regardless of storage over time. 

Interesting - December last year I went from the Road 5 back to a Pilot Road 2 and as Cogswell states the Road 2's have also been my go-to-tire. For my riding, the Road 5 offered no greater benifit over the PR2 and the PR2 was a fair bit cheaper.

The manufacturing year of the Pilot Road 2 I had fitted is 2019 and made in Spain. Seems clear to me Michelin are still manufacturing the PR2 and not just flogging off old stock lying around.

Check the manufacture date before having them fitted or ask what the date is before buying.

Cheers.

P.S. Michelin Australia web site still shows them. Rang Michelin and was informed they are still getting supplies of PR2's especially the 120/70/17 and 180/55/17, however he made the comment the American market could be quite different!!!!!

image.jpeg

Loved the PR2 Rear with a PP front! Probably ran 10-15 sets of these! IMO the Best combo back in the day, most recent combo was a PP3 and a PR2 rear. i tried the PR4 and still preferred the PR2 rear over any of them for grip, wear and confidence!

I actually have a spare set of wheels with a brand new set of this combo on them right now.

• Member Contributer
On 3/20/2020 at 12:19 PM, Grum said:

Interesting - December last year I went from the Road 5 back to a Pilot Road 2 and as Cogswell states the Road 2's have also been my go-to-tire. For my riding, the Road 5 offered no greater benifit over the PR2 and the PR2 was a fair bit cheaper.

The manufacturing year of the Pilot Road 2 I had fitted is 2019 and made in Spain. Seems clear to me Michelin are still manufacturing the PR2 and not just flogging off old stock lying around.

Check the manufacture date before having them fitted or ask what the date is before buying.

Cheers.

P.S. Michelin Australia web site still shows them. Rang Michelin and was informed they are still getting supplies of PR2's especially the 120/70/17 and 180/55/17, however he made the comment the American market could be quite different!!!!!

image.jpeg

Grum

The date stamp 2019 actually means it was made in the 20th week in 2019. First two digits is the week and the last two digits is the year. All tyres have this means of identifying when they were manufactured. I always check this stamp when I have new tyres fitted to any of my vehicles.  You can find some tyre shops sell off cheap tyres and you think to yourself “they were a bargain” until you then check the date stamp and found you’ve got 3 to 4 year old tyres.  Tyre manufacturers recommend to change tyres that are over 7 years old.

• Member Contributer

Nothing wrong with the PR2;  German mc mag Motorrad pitched them against the PR3, 4 and 5 and found very little real life difference. Especially for the price.  So if the DOT code is 18 up, that is a good bargain.

The PR2 has over the years been updgraded so it is in a way the PR2+

I had the PC3 on my rc51.  If you want a tire to last and not handle the turns very well these are for you.  I threw them out with full thread the nipples were still showing. I bought them because I thought I wanted a tire to last more than a season or two.  I never thought the tires would affect handling that much for a street bike.  The bike would still run a little bit wide even after altering geometry more input from rider was needed.  The profile of Michelin compared to the Pirelli is the Pirelli has a better profile to allow for quick transition.  Even going to a Michelin pilot 2ct from a pirelli rosso corsa the handling was very obvious on my friends ducati panigale track bike.  By the way I went with the pirelli rosso corsa on my rc51 for the street supercorsa for the track on my vfr.  My two cents.

• Member Contributer

I'll put a set of Angel GT 2's on my RC51 next as a replacement for the Rosso III's.

The Assen trackday is yet to be cancelled; am sure it will though. so time will tell...

• Member Contributer

I just checked the date code- 4319!  Less than a year old. Apparently they're still making them for sale here in the US of A!

On 3/19/2020 at 7:39 PM, Tiutis said:

On 3/22/2020 at 10:16 AM, Dutchy said:

Nothing wrong with the PR2;  German mc mag Motorrad pitched them against the PR3, 4 and 5 and found very little real life difference. Especially for the price.  So if the DOT code is 18 up, that is a good bargain.

The PR2 has over the years been updgraded so it is in a way the PR2+

Had a way better experience with the PR4. Got the 'new' PR2's, from a dealer, for last season and the cold and wet grip just doesn't compare to the PR4's from a couple of years ago. I really don't feel comfortable with leaning too far into the warm either anymore. Of course though, the tread life is amazing on both.  

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Tiutis said:

Dutch, Are those ST or GT? I see a pair of STs for $200 which sounds like a deal based on reviews. 

WOAH! Where did you find that deal?!?! I usually switch up to touring tires in the winter. 

• Member Contributer
On 3/27/2020 at 8:51 AM, Dutchy said:

Her new shoes

IMG-20200327-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20200327-WA0013.thumb.jpeg.d23e23306fc79271ae30314a339e99d0.jpeg

Good tires just too pricey.  

• Member Contributer
On 3/22/2020 at 12:53 PM, VFR750F3 said:

I had the PC3 on my rc51.  If you want a tire to last and not handle the turns very well these are for you.  I threw them out with full thread the nipples were still showing. I bought them because I thought I wanted a tire to last more than a season or two.  I never thought the tires would affect handling that much for a street bike.  The bike would still run a little bit wide even after altering geometry more input from rider was needed.  The profile of Michelin compared to the Pirelli is the Pirelli has a better profile to allow for quick transition.  Even going to a Michelin pilot 2ct from a pirelli rosso corsa the handling was very obvious on my friends ducati panigale track bike.  By the way I went with the pirelli rosso corsa on my rc51 for the street supercorsa for the track on my vfr.  My two cents.

Michelin went astray a long time ago shortly after the very successful PR2 was changed into expensive abominable tires.  Michelin now sells off their name only.  Their new tires are pricey failures IMO..   

Archived