1998 800 tapping noise in 6th gear only??

Tct

Hello everyone. I have noticed a tapping noise while riding in 6th gear only. It matches engine speed...rpms go up ticking noise goes right along with it. It doesn't make sense because in neutral it does not make the noise indicating to me at least it's not a valve train noise. If anyone has any experiences or ideas with this it would be most appreciated. Thank you for your time to read this

20200318_142134.jpg

20200314_133206.jpg

• Member Contributer

To troubleshoot an internal noise the first step is to establish the
rate at which it occurs like you have with engine rpms... next place a
length of garden hose or long screw driver up to your ear and probe

the suspected area while the bike is running on the center stand...

attachment.php?attachmentid=487344&stc=1

• Member Contributer

I might be stating the obvious here, but have a very close look at your drive chain condition and its tension, a loose, dry or badly worn chain has been known to creating strange noises at particular speeds and loads. So, if you haven't found an internal engine noise as suggested above, then have a very good look at the state of the chain as well as its guides and sliders etc.

Also make sure your Center Stand stopper mounted on the exhaust is not missing, this can cause the Center Stand to rise up higher and closer to the chain and potentially making a ticking contact!

Have you tried riding in 6th gear with the noise then pull in the clutch (throttle back to idle of course!). Is the noise still there? Does it slowly dissappear as your speed drops? Does it stop instantly as rpm drops to idle?

What's the situation with your bike on its center stand and running through the gears? Do you get the noise in 6th gear on the center stand?

Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

Grum thank you for replying! I will verify the chain tension. Also yes when riding if I pull the clutch the noise will subside. I just can't figure what internally would cause the noise only in that specific situation. I will double check the center stand vibration. I just put on the delkivic high mount yesterday and did not use the original rubber stop on the mid pipe. I used a piece laying around in the shop. That is a Good idea and observation. Thank you again for your help

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Tct said:

Grum thank you for replying! I will verify the chain tension. Also yes when riding if I pull the clutch the noise will subside. I just can't figure what internally would cause the noise only in that specific situation. I will double check the center stand vibration. I just put on the delkivic high mount yesterday and did not use the original rubber stop on the mid pipe. I used a piece laying around in the shop. That is a Good idea and observation. Thank you again for your help

Keep us posted with whatever you find. Good luck.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

Ticking noise solved!!!

We played a similar gag once on an airplane-mechanic friend who is super-particular about his bikes.  At a lunch stop we tossed one of those fake oil slicks under his TL1000R and when we came out of the restaurant he about sh*t little green apples on the spot.  We had one straight man who could keep a poker face that played him on the hook - "dude - that looks really BAD - what did you do to it, anyway . . . ???"  While he went berzerk the rest of us had to turn away to keep from laughing.  Good times.  

Archived