F4i Shock Preload Adjustment

veefr

I'm planning on upgrading to an F4i shock, but I'm wondering how easy/difficult is it to adjust the preload with a spanner? With the location of preload adjustment on the F4i shock, this looks like it could be pretty tricky. 

• Member Contributer

It is difficult to adjust on all single rear shock motorcycles, and the F4 is no different.  It is possible to change it if you have the correct spanner tools and a little ambition.  If you have the correct spring rate installed you can set the preload before the shock is installed.  The correct spring will also mean you do not have to change preload for luggage, passenger, etc.  Just ride!

I hope this helps.

1 hour ago, JamieDaugherty said:

It is difficult to adjust on all single rear shock motorcycles, and the F4 is no different.  It is possible to change it if you have the correct spanner tools and a little ambition.  If you have the correct spring rate installed you can set the preload before the shock is installed.  The correct spring will also mean you do not have to change preload for luggage, passenger, etc.  Just ride!

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your response, Jamie. Can you elaborate on the correct spring rate? I thought that rider weight impacted the spring rate? 

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, veefr said:

Thanks for your response, Jamie. Can you elaborate on the correct spring rate? I thought that rider weight impacted the spring rate? 

That is correct.  Feel free to email your details and I can make a recommendation for you.

Something else to consider is the damping - that is much more important than spring rate - but maybe just leave that for another time :-)

Archived