Switch pod (high beam, turn signal, horn) loose. Any fixes?

8200rpm

So the little plastic nub on inside of the switch pod housing that fits into the clip-on recess hole broke off. So the entire housing free spins on the clip-on. It's especially annoying when I'm trying to open and close the choke (fast idle lever).

Is there a hack or fix for this?

I tried torquing down on the screws but that only clamps the two plastic parts together. It doesn't provide any additional clamping force onto the clip-on.

If you just need a simple hack for the near term (and this is truly a hack), then get some of the anti-slip tape (Lowes, Skid Guard) and wrap just enough under the housing to clamp on.  It's been working for me on my track bike for many seasons.  It's not a proper fix and doesn't look great up close, but works :biggrin: ...

ACE

• Member Contributer

Any second-hand Honda switch pod from eBay that looks like yours should swap housings with yours.  Of course, it could also snap off...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

You could also do what some bodger PO did to my new purchase; drill through the switch casing and into the bar, and insert a self-tapping screw. This was done from below where it's not obvious, and doesn't affect functionality, but its not exactly elegant.

• Member Contributer

Just brain storming here. Can you replace the broken nub with anything and some plastic glue? Plasti-Fix works on ABS. Replace it with a metal pin with threads into the housing? 

17 hours ago, ChrisBezz said:

Hi, 8200 - just wondering, how did it happen?

Chris B.

It might have weakened over time from the resistance of the choke lever.

More likely, the nub wasn’t lined up to the recess when I installed it. So, it could have snapped off when I tightened the screws. 

22 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

Replace it with a metal pin with threads into the housing? 

This might be the most elegant fix. I gotta find a small Allen set screw that’s about the same diameter as the hole in the clip on. Drill a little hole in the plastic housing and thread it through.

Thanks for the idea!

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, 8200rpm said:

This might be the most elegant fix. I gotta find a small Allen set screw that’s about the same diameter as the hole in the clip on. Drill a little hole in the plastic housing and thread it through.

Thanks for the idea!

Perfect!

• Member Contributer

Ha! maxSwell beat me to it!

I thought of suggesting a piece of metal rod with a thread cut into it. Same end result.

i hope you get it sorted?

Chris B.

Archived