Upper back pain

Walker1

Question

Hello guys! I've just come from a Honda deauville and onto a vfr800 2001. Had it less than a week and I've had an old back problem creep back fast enough. It's the only thing that's changed in my daily routine.

Bar the back issue, the riding experience is a dream.. the bike is leaps and bounds ahead of the deauville and I do enjoy it. 

What I'm hoping for is some information/suggestions that might work to eliviate the problem. I've had a look around and was thinking helibars, a custom seat and/or a back protector maybe.. what do you guys suggest?

I'm 5'8 and have no idea what other information to offer yee! 

Edit: it's thoracic pain specifically on the left side of a vertibrae

Thankyou

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Walker1 said:

Here she is! Been fairly busy riding her to take a picture!

Getting used to relaxing seems to help... may not put the money into risers but a new seat to save the ol’ nuts will probably happen!

1F78A0B0-0D3E-4AD9-ABD5-9ACE2A66C28C.jpeg

I've had Sargent seats on my fifths for the last 12 years and love them. Nothing but the best for my tush.

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

I've had Sargent seats on my fifths for the last 12 years and love them. Nothing but the best for my tush.

:offtopic:The mention of Sargent and the wearing out of the red beads on my current seat propelled me to take a look at getting a new one. And, to my surprise, they are on sale. So I ordered a red-trimed one for for $352. 20% off. WoohPee!

56 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

:offtopic:The mention of Sargent and the wearing out of the red beads on my current seat propelled me to take a look at getting a new one. And, to my surprise, they are on sale. So I ordered a red-trimed one for for $352. 20% off. WoohPee!

That is decent! I just checked the price for here in Ireland and it turns out to be 450 euros without pin lock!... I think I’ll be ok for awhile 😛

On 3/15/2020 at 3:23 PM, Maiko said:

Hi Walker

I fear you will need to have a look at your birth certificate or drive faster.

I had a VFR 750 some years back, crashed it and have to back down a bit. In 2019 I dicided to buy the VFR800, however during test driving I got the same broblems with my back. Decided for the VFR800X insted. Mutch less back pain.

/Mike

Yes, It’s such a great ride after coming from the deauville I hope this is correctable! I’m 27 years old but that backs been a bother for some years now..

On 3/15/2020 at 5:14 PM, Dutchy said:

http://cycle-ergo.com/

You set to your size and can see what a change like helibars will do

image.png.cb66af4336da877bbd8b77703d4e66ff.png

image.thumb.png.0153eec7ebbf9a25195bd4f428aaadfa.png

image.png.dc4ba1d0fbf8863813ac0a3f5753001b.png

I had a look at this! If i can lower the seat and get the helibars the position would be better however it would be hard to tell without riding around how much of a difference it would make!

On 3/15/2020 at 6:06 PM, slowbird said:

Do you get the pain on the left side between your spine and shoulder blade?

I get a pretty nasty pain in that spot after riding a couple hours. 😕

exactly the spot! Ive spent a lot of money on physios/physical therapists but my latest conclusion is it is a rib that comes out of place! Only riding 20 minutes each way to work but boy is it creeping back!

On 3/15/2020 at 7:05 PM, Cogswell said:

One idea might be Stomp Pads or Tech Spec on the tank.  The idea is to support the body with the legs / knees by gripping the tank vs using the arms.  If you can ride with a very light pressure on the grips generally there will be less stress in the back and shoulders.  A sportier position is more demanding physically,  so maybe some motivation to increase one's fitness level.  I go through that each spring - have to work out more to be fit for long rides. It also helps me to stop every hour or so to take a brief brake and stretch.

I have the baglux tank cover on the bike but probably not the same... Yes this is something i need to practice.. I am usually trying to force my spine straight which causes my arms to straighten.. maybe a more relaxed position with bent arms might help! I thought fitness and i am working on it.. however it is reasonable as I’m in the gym most days of the week (working). Stretching is what Ive been working on!

7 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

I have upper back issues among others and my doc says holding your head up in the air stream takes a lot of back stuff. I've used a Givi Touring windscreen on all my fifth gens.  Being a little squirt crouching behind it takes a huge load off and, as a bonus, greatly reduces wind noise. And just installing it added at least 5% to my gas mileage and, when tucked behind it, 10%+. Also makes the cockpit warmer and drier; good for us in the upper middle U.S.

But even with those efforts, I can't ride for more than an hour at highway speeds before I have to stop and recover. (Which conveniently co-insides with h2o, nicotine, caffeine,and bladder relief.) At least for this old phart. :wheel:

Thats brilliant! (The convenience.. not the pain!) I do have a double bubble screen on there. On the deauville I had no windshield as it blew off on the motorway and left me with not enough fairings to reinstall another haha.. no pain at all on that one!

6 hours ago, slowbird said:

Having both a touring windscreen and Heli-bars, I still get my back pain. Though I don't know if it's the same as the OP's.

I never ride with my weight on my wrists. I'm almost always using my legs or core. I think it's more about having my arms extended in an outstretched, but not fully extended position for hours...not exactly at rest but not fully engaged.

I could alleviate the pain briefly by fully gripping the bar with my left hand and then leaning back and twisting my upper body to the left to stretch out that back muscle (Rhomboid muscle iirc)

I've been spending the winter trying to condition myself and my old and aching muscles to better handle the long slogs on the bike 🤷‍♂️

Do you try and keep the spine straight or let the ergonomics of the bike take over?.. has the conditioning helped? Haha

PS guys appreciate the response..wasn’t expecting any but was hoping, when i posted this!

• Member Contributer
On 3/18/2020 at 11:03 AM, Walker1 said:

Any videos/manuals on how to install a USB port onto a vfr 800?

Thats what I was thinking.. the Helis coupled with a Sargent seat.. however thats a lot of money to invest onto the bike! Could be worth it.. if all goes well this bike will be my regular commuter for the next 3 years minimum.. its a great ride.

would you get yourself a Sargent/corbid seat.. and if you happen too, let us know how it is!:P

PS took the bike for about 30-40 minute spin yesterday and let the shape of the bike take over... elbows well bent. Upper back felt ok. Lower back was abit tight however tightness over pain any day!

I've had both Sargent Seats and a Corbin. The Corbin in MUCH heavier. The Corbin came on a fifth gen I bought. I cannot remember if I ever tried it on a ride of significant distance. Being so heavy I did not consider using it when I could shift my Sargent to whatever machine I decided to ride. Bottom line: Very comfortable, good looking with the red welt and fake-carbon look cover, two-piece design convenient for accessing the storage space underneath.

My first Sargent Seat was a one-piece which I preferred. Lent it out when a subsequent fifth gen came with a two-piece that I wanted to try that out, and never got it back (darn). Checking their website, they show only two-piece version for fifth gens.  

Archived