Gen 2 (86) Shindengen RR Mount?

Open1mind

I am replacing the stock Regulator on my mint 1986 VFR750.  Lots of great help here and other forums, but I dont see any info about where to mount it smoothly on a a Gen 2?  Has anyone done so and have any tips?  pics?

Many thanks and ride well

• Member Contributer

Post up some photos of the OEM  mount situation and the creative minds here can give you some suggestions... (including mine) :beer:

I have R/R mount plates for the Shingenden, but dunno how it would fit for a gen2.... 

I am running the SH847 kit and it is HUUUUUUGE

http://www.roadstercycle.com/#SH847_SERIES_RR_KITS_ARE_NOW_AVAILABLE_

I actually mounted it to the battery retaining bar, lots of space right there for it, nice airflow, minimal wiring fuss just leave a service loop so when you open the battery door it doesn't stress the leads. I used some heat resistant sleeve to cross 3 wires to the stator, soldered right to those leads(i put a beefed up stator same time) and then ran the pos/neg from the reg/rec right to the battery with the included breaker with nice short runs.

Here is a shot of a possible location- but it will take surgery.  the two small brackets hanging down from the frame rail show where the stock RR was mounted vertically.  The SH is too tall to mount in that spot- the top of it would hit the bottom of the seat once installed.

So I was thinking of trying to mount it horizontally, but that might mean dremel -ing off those two brackets to get them out of the way.  

IMG_2999.jpeg

Heres another idea- mount it to the inner fender, with the connections pointing down.  It looks like the seat would still work ok, and the runs over to the battery and the stator wire are not a problem.

The concern- there are two vents (?) in the inner fender that seem to be there to bring some air under the seat, perhaps for aerodynamics?  Maybe to route some air towards the stock regulator and other electronics?  Those vents and some other plastic would need to be sawed off the fender - and the location of the SH would put it in the air.  Good in some way, but I do worry about any water or grime getting up near it.

I am a wincing a little about cutting up a very original and really clean Gen 2.  On the other hand, the PO put aftermarket blinkers on.  He also got rid of the CA canister and plumbing stuff.

IMG_3004.jpeg

On 3/9/2020 at 8:13 PM, Open1mind said:

Is this what you mean by mounting it to the retaining bar for the battery???

IMG_2996.jpeg

Yep, that's where i put it. Worked perfectly. I have the terminals facing right in that pic, was easier to strain relief the wires to go with the hinge and make sure they didn't contact anything else. For mounting i used an old piece of license plate bracket, and just nut and bolted it between the mount holes, running it so that strap sits behind that battery bar. Hasn't budged on me yet, seems pretty secure and no permanent mods needed.

I can get pics when i get back home if you like, i'll have to remember though... And boy am I forgetful 😄 

Thanks for the reply.  I was eyeballing it yesterday in that position, it doesn't look like the side cover on my 86 Gen 2 leaves enough clearance to fit it there and still get the sidecover to sit right....

So, I pulled the rear cowl off, and the rear subframe looks like a better mounting spot for mine.  Hopefully I can make that happen without any explosions or hemorrhaging...

I will try to snap a pic if I get it mounted there OK so that anyone checking this thread will have it for a option along w your battery idea

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I’d appreciate a photo of it if you could do that for my 89 RC24

Here we go, looks like i need to trim a couple of fins down juuuuuust a touch. I went on a couple hundred mile trip recently and it appears to have rubbed a bit at some point. You can see the two little white spots on fins, and little spots dug out of the side cover. The shorai battery was a little different size than stock so i used heavy duty velcro strap to keep it secure, but same reg/rec mounting method would work for stock battery, especially if you aren't using this chonker i used. I didn't want to cut into my under seat space, and didn't want to trim anything to make this huge thing fit. Instead of nuts on the back of the plate i used rivnuts/nutserts, which will change your life if you've never heard of them 😄 

Px4XdVh.jpg

cQSCa1a.jpg

N4rOSxU.jpg

iWA50Rc.jpg

1MsRXQj.jpg

pXy2lWV.jpg

So, I am mocking up a slightly different solution on my bike.  I think I saw how some folks with Gen 3 and later bikes use the rear subframe.

After taking the rear cowl off I was surprised; a)how much clearance there is between the plastic and b) there is an unused threaded hole in the subframe on the right (brake, not shifter) side of the rear subframe rail.  An M8 screw fits right in....

IMG_3022.jpg

I used the adapter plate from Roadster cycle to mount the SH R/R and for now I have it mocked up this way.

I am still playing with some spacing and how to route the wires over to the stator and the battery. I am also considering the Single Point Ground approach that some other forums are really committed to on other bikes.  

IMG_3026.jpg

And here is another view. I test fitted the plastic back on, and there is plenty of clearance and ventilation.

I was little concerned about it being near the wheel and weather- but lets be clear; This bike never, ever gets ridden in the rain.  It is a Sunday driver with only a few hundred miles per year going on.

I was concerned about the battery mount and getting the clearance right- and I am really careful with the 35 year old plastics getting stress cracked.  At my modest skill level, I was sure that I would either destroy the side cover or RR, or the Battery trying that way.

IMG_3029.jpg

• Member Contributer

That looks really neat and tidy, thanks again 

Happy to share, i guess i should also specify that I was trying to come up with a mount solution that allows my wing rack to be mounted. If i stuck it towards the rear i would have been unable to mount the racks.

Archived