GPR Exhaust Help

rmiller

Hi friends,

I have a 1998 VFR800 that I just ordered a high-mount GRP exhaust for. I am having a really difficult time completing the installation due to the lackluster instructions provided in the box. Does ANYONE have an experience installing their high mount slipons? 

I've basically stripped the fastening screws provided trying to make the support bracket fit right. There's this one piece that I just can't for the life of me figure out the order of bolts, washer, bracket. Its either too loose, too tight, or I can't make it fit together. This is the piece in question. I'm very frustrated so any insight would be much appreciated. 

20200308_172850.jpg

• Member Contributer

My 5th g 2Bros hi mount bracket attaches to the sub frame under the plastic, requires trimming plastic slightly to fit - not noticeable unless looking from below.

26 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

My 5th g 2Bros hi mount bracket attaches to the sub frame under the plastic, requires trimming plastic slightly to fit - not noticeable unless looking from below.

I've seem people make brackets that drop down, but in the installation PDF and other pictures I've found online they definitely show the bracket mounted horizontally. I can't for the life of me figure it out. I feel like it shouldn't be this difficult, I've installed at least 3 different slipons to other bikes.

The part that is most confusing to me is the 7) rubber boot piece. Does that go into the footpet housing instead of what's in there already? I can't make it fit without doing so, but they do not indicate that anywhere in the instructions. From this diagram it looks like the footpeg is simply in front of part 7)

I've tried the bracket 6) in several positions, but I just simply couldn't it tight enough to not wiggle around. I actually destroyed the threads on the long screw trying to get it tight enough, so I am going to have to get a replacement for that already. 

This is a snip of the installation PDF:

snip.PNG

• Member Contributer

Mine had a similar piece. I say had because I got rid of the passenger peg mounts, and mounted the muffler strap with a small bracket off the subframe that I fabricated myself. That piece you're holding goes from the stock mount to the strap. It's kind of a hack. Shame because the rest of the system is pretty decent.

That bracket's right end is sandwiched between the back of the footpeg mount and the tab on the GPR intermediate pipe.  The left end of that bracket is sandwiched between the two eyelets of the canister strap. 

Archived