VFR1200 Project Bike

Coxylaad

On 9/6/2020 at 7:07 AM, Dutchy said:

I believe Guy Martin said:

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you move the wall back....  :tongue:

Horsepower is all that matters, for everything else, there's gearing.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Coxy, I’m loving your work mate. Mad, mad skills! 

The TRX project looks fantastic and I really enjoyed the video. You built a bike that looks good AND work - you sparked everything else on track! 

The VFR1200 has a great stance and that trellis frame...just perfect! 

What material tube are you using? How does it compare for weight? 

Mostly I envy your skills and productivity. Your projects are so much more ambitious than mine and you get so much more done! 

Keep the updates coming mate. 

Stray

sorry guys, been a long time since I posted anything up on here. 

this is the current status in pictures: 

chopped all the brackets out, plated and welded the fuel tank:

sSlmR6O.jpg

hn8bST2.jpg

I then lead loaded it, and its currently ready for a final skim of filler and then paint. 

I reckon i might have gained about 400ml in fuel capacity. that might have to do for now. 180miles is fine for a tank range for me. 200 would be better but i am not crying about it. 

I also ditched the 2 fillet pieces I was going to weld on as I couldnt get the shape of the tank to fit with the frame properly.  

made the front bracket for the fuel tank:

6mBUwbF.jpg

DGkJghi.jpg

rPd1eoP.jpg

few other little bits (earth point etc)

SYHdo7u.jpg

plX65bm.jpg

MdfHRBb.jpg

did some more track days on the TRX:

z9ZmKeI.jpg

Decided to reuse the stock airbox, but open it up a touch. 

UuPIRm8.jpg

Axg1B0F.jpg

DVCDs5y.jpg

First pass at making the ignition mount, this wasnt so easy.

hz5fYuZ.jpg

5py2cN9.jpg

radiator mounted:

18tBe5C.jpg

its a bit wide. I have looked at using a twin radiator setup from an aprilia mille, and it is narrower, however I have decided to stick the original radiator and try and make it fit.

headlight mount:

cIXIZny.jpg

ANbtsB7.jpg

xh484Jl.jpg

trial fitting the clocks:

Vhgg9kG.jpg

I dont like the stock clocks but as Ken has mentioned you have to use them because of the unique serial protocol that the bike employs. so with that in mind I have decided to make my own surround for them. I have a load of other fairing panels and fittings to make so I decided to get into 3d printing. so far I have done 5 iterations of a left hand radiator panel, its getting there: 

verision 1.0

WL6b8Jg.jpg

b4tZObw.jpg

frU0abT.jpg

this was version 4.0:

RpeI1ai.jpg

O9vCE7L.jpg

its a bit bulky, version 5.0 is coming out the printer as i type and is going back to a slimmer version (current build time is 1 day 10 hours per panel) 

so thats basically where I am up to. Ive not had much time on the bike this year which is dissapointing. Im hoping to get back into it shortly.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that update m8. :beer:

Folk were beginning to worry you'd become another Covid statistic.

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Looking good! Glad you're posting again, please keep at it.

x2 - this is a unique build and I am also enjoying it, please keep sharing it with us!

• Member Contributer

null

15 minutes ago, Coxylaad said:

does anyone know where I can get some new exhaust studs and nuts?

#15  stud

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2010/vfr1200f-ac-vfr1200fd/cylinder-head-fr

# 37   nut

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2010/vfr1200fd-ac-vfr1200f/muffler

A build such as this illustrates the enormous amount of time, resources and development that go in to making a clean sheet design.  Sure, Honda has CAD systems,engineers and it's what they do for a living.  Still, it's an enormous process.   I'm very impressed with the 3D printing - a very nice piece! 

21 hours ago, Cogswell said:

null

#15  stud

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2010/vfr1200f-ac-vfr1200fd/cylinder-head-fr

# 37   nut

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2010/vfr1200fd-ac-vfr1200f/muffler

A build such as this illustrates the enormous amount of time, resources and development that go in to making a clean sheet design.  Sure, Honda has CAD systems,engineers and it's what they do for a living.  Still, it's an enormous process.   I'm very impressed with the 3D printing - a very nice piece! 

much appreciated. is that an US site or can you order from the UK?

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Coxylaad said:

much appreciated. is that an US site or can you order from the UK?

You're welcome. Yes - from their shipping page.  Looking forward to more of your build. 

image.thumb.png.a10569d8291f8bd2d9ea708844d7f13d.png

• 2 months later...

not done a great deal on the bike itself, but i have done a fair bit of 3d modelling. i was reasonable happy with the radiator side panel, its done apart from a few little tweaks. the next job was building some airscoops to fill the huge hole under the fuel tank. 

To do this I have had to learn about forms with fusion 360 (previously i have just modelled solids)  Forms are a lot more fluid, and used when you dont have any specific straight edges/dimensions you can put a ruler against. 

So. to do this I first needed to define the contact edges of the of the tank and the frame where the airscoop will sit. In the abscence of a £10,000 3d scanner I used a technique called photogrammetry, where you take a load of photos of the object you want to scan from all avaiable angles, then you feed them into some software and it creates a 3d image of the bike that you can play with. Here are the results: 

from there i stripped away the unnecesary parts and left the surfaces I need for the airscoop, which is the top rail of the frame and the bottom lip of the tank.  Then I exported it as a dense point cloud into fusion 360. 

In fusion 360 I could then plot a T spline curve alone those edges which defined the edges of the airscoop.  

I then mucked about with surfaces in forms until I got this:

This was the first printered iteration, I am on verion 4 or 5  now, and it looks something like this:

eo2rdY8.jpg

csOnxLK.jpg

eq1hTgc.jpg

Couple of flat spots on here I need to sort out on the next print.

how it hangs together with the radiator in place:

rmDLUS2.jpg

over all I am quite pleased with hows its going, not finished yet, but it should look fairly factory (ie not nailed together in a shed) once its done.  

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Coxylaad said:

yes! thats kind of what I was going for. big aggressive airscoops

:fing02:

p243b.jpg

• 1 month later...

progress update:

decided to order myself a set of custom yokes instead of messing about trying to make things fit. They took 10 weeks to arrive, but they were worth the wait. Very impressed. 

EcCZOkM.jpg

The fit of the ignition barrel is absolutely perfect, it even includes the fittings for the transponder ring that sits on top of it. very happy

Stuck it in the freezer overnight, and fitted the bottom bearing:

JDG8SOY.jpg
K15y0jU.jpg

Trial fit up:

aQtOUID.jpg
1SS1Hvx.jpg
ioq8oe6.jpg

fitted to the bike:

zb7rTy0.jpg
8mY5NGg.jpg
Pqh6jNS.jpg

DrUHLw8.jpg
RRSZ5yR.jpg
I need to do some more work on that airscoop, but that can happen later. 

• 1 month later...

Archived