Help me tell her no . . .

Cogswell

• Member Contributer

Ok, so I admit it - I fall in love easily when it's right . . . just a softie.  Today I did something I rarely do anymore - dropped by the local multi-line dealer to order a small, inexpensive part (in all fairness it was 1/2 the price to pay full list and avoid the $7.95 shipping charge from Partzilla).  Anyway, this dealer has its used bikes upstairs and I always go up and have a look (I really don't care much to look at the new ones).   Last time they had a low mile '03 Blackbird in pristine condition that made me almost lose it on the spot.  They also had a leftover 2015 (now gone) in red, but wanted $9,995 so left that one there, too.  Today, front and center they had this 2014 also in red, with just about every option box on the list ticked - luggage, bar risers, heated grips, hugger, lowered pegs, power outlet, (IIRC) new Road 5's and a DAM can.  From the condition I'd say no more than 3 or 4 thousand miles on it.  Just beautiful - no scuffs or scrapes anywhere.  It definitely pulled hard at my heartstrings.  This bike is nice. It had the seat raised and when I sat on it the ergos feel almost exactly the way my 6th gen is set up.   *Fortunately* they're asking too much for it - $8,500.  This thing is like a super model begging me to come over to her place for the evening and telling me I can have my way with her.  DAMN!  :ph34r:  For whatever reason, on the spot I decided this bike a "she".   Somehow I summoned up my courage to put away the credit card and walk back down and out the door.  The reality is I already have a 5th and 6th gen, not that much room in my garage, and don't have enough time to ride what I've got.  It's also a fair amount over market and I don't need another insurance payment.   My 6th gen is just how I like it and has been a faithful ride, though is showing some age after 10 years and over 30,000 miles - although it's getting a full makeover during the winter here.

Here's the thing, toward the end of the week I have to go back to pick up my order and the lure will be strong.  I need the collective VFRD wisdom to talk me off the ledge and tell her "no"  . . . Do I NEED this bike, no.  Do I WANT this bike, hell yeah! But I don't think it's enough of a change from my 6th gen to warrant shelling out that kind of money.   One thing I know for sure - if this bike didn't have the same VTEC motor my 6th gen does but rather a 1,000cc 90 degree V4, it would already be parked in my garage this evening - no doubt.  Regardless - looking at the photo - you have to admit - she's a beaut. 

ps - sorry - the big black thing in the background is a jet ski they also had on display.

8th Gen.jpg

• Member Contributer

Tough call. I can say to ensure you can say no, don’t test ride it! That’s like taking a pretty girl out for a coffee, one thing leads to another and then you find yourself waking up next to her trying to figure out... “How did I end up here?”

• Member Contributer

With all the extras you listed I don’t think it’s a bad price, I am not going to help you at all, I say buy it. You know you want it....

• Member Contributer

Hi Cogswell.

I share your pain. She sure is a gorgeous lady. Reckon you need to ask your wife (Woops assume you have one!) to come along when you pick up your parts, you can guarantee she will control your urges, and the credit card. Also such a lovely bike may well be gone by the time your parts arrive so don't stress.

I'm not going to tell you how much better my 8gen is over previous 6gens I've had, nor has it been the best bike I've owned.:pinocchio:

Cheers.:beer: 

$8,500 from a dealer is a very fair price. Those bags alone are like $2,000. I’d say do it!  This bike will keep you happy for many years. Not that 6th gen couldn’t but it will require lots of maintenance.

You came to the wrong place if you’re looking for reasons NOT to buy another bike.

If it’s so similar to your 6th gen, sell the 6th gen  to fund the 8th gen. That way you have the 5th gen (pinnacle of gear driven cam VFRs) and the 8th gen (pinnacle of VTEC VFRs).

That’s the PERFECT two bike set to welcome the yet to be designed/produced 1000cc VFR. 

If you want the pinnacle of carbureted VFRs, keep your eye out for a 4th gen to round out your collection.

You want to be talked out of buying a bike? We’ll give you reasons to buy two more. 

Ride your 6th gen to the dealer to pick up your part but bring the pink slip with you. Test ride the 8th gen. After that test you will want the 8th gen and having the pink slip with you so you can trade it in will save you a trip.   

• Member Contributer

Yeah, you came to the wrong place for advice, LOL.  We're good at spending other people's money on bikes....   I understand in the case of VFR's wanting more than one... my mode thus far is one bike for travelling, the VFR for fun.  Now, didn't the later VFR's fix all the so-called VTEC issues?  I can see me getting that '14/'15 one day to supplement my 5th Gen....  Yep, better send the SO for your parts, if not, take that test ride.... but also keep in mind, there's always a deal out there if you're patient.  Def I'd keep the 5th Gen.... was that helpful?

• Member Contributer

Test ride a new Aprilia rsv or tuona and/or ducati v4 and then test ride the vfr to see if you really want another 800cc..

Hopefully that's a helping  NOOOOO 😆

• Member Contributer

I'm with boOZZIE on this.  As nice as that VFR looks, I think it's too much like your 6 gen.  Plus you've put a ton of improvements into that bike over the years.  My vote would be to get something different.  I myself am starting to look at ADV bikes to supplement my 5th gen to cover some of the gnarlier backroads around the PNW.

Good luck deciding!

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, ChasingNolan said:

I'm with boOZZIE on this.  As nice as that VFR looks, I think it's too much like your 6 gen.  Plus you've put a ton of improvements into that bike over the years.  My vote would be to get something different.  I myself am starting to look at ADV bikes to supplement my 5th gen to cover some of the gnarlier backroads around the PNW.

Good luck deciding!

I've been doing the same thing. We've got a LOT of good gravel. I keep thinking about something fairly light and agile...

• Member Contributer

Get rid of the 6th gen and buy the bike.  I've owned a 5th, 6th, and 8th gen.  The 8th gen. has "it all together" much better than the other two gens.  You won't notice the VTEC kicking in at all, it has MUCH more lower end usable torque good for twisties and just riding around in almost any gear.  It doesn't care which gear it's in at all but very high speeds.  Mine has had zero problems in 17+K miles.  

Second reason to get it,.........we would all think you're a "bad person" if you don't.......LOL!  Seriously, I like my 8th better than the 6th gen. by far.  I ride hard in twisties and it's a good bike for that provided you put a good slip-on, on it.  Mine has a Delkevic which is cheap but nice looking and gave it even more low end torque.  Don't know what's on it from your pic.  Don't be a "bad person", be a man about it and let us know.   BTW, asking price is asking price.  Everything is negotiable.  Read the book, "Never Split the Difference" by Chris Voss.  Chris is not a "bad person"......LOL!

• Member Contributer

I'm with the majority above: loose the 6th gen and start over with A Brand New (VFR) Machine.

22 hours ago, mello dude said:

Its RRRRedddd...

And I especially second mello dude! We all know red is the fastest color.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 3/5/2020 at 5:06 PM, MaxSwell said:

I'm with the majority above: loose the 6th gen and start over with A Brand New (VFR) Machine.

And I especially second mello dude! We all know red is the fastest color.

Listen to MaxSwell.   He knows of what he speaks.  

Archived