Hard Bags for a '98

JimMoore

Hi Guys,

I'm starting to like my '98 so much that I'm wondering if I can get away with selling my BMW (Y2K R1100RS).  The BMW currently has some advantages. First, hard bags. Does anyone make hard bags for the 5th Gen? 

Thanks,

Jim Moore

• Member Contributer

Have to find a GIVI rack, then you can run any bags you want. Not sure if anyone else makes a rack for the 5th gen.

• Member Contributer

I did see a photo once of a red 5th gen that had matching color  6th gen bags adapted to it.   Looked factory - really nice.  Reply here if you'd like to see it and I'll see if I can find it. 

8 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I did see a photo once of a red 5th gen that had matching color  6th gen bags adapted to it.   Looked factory - really nice.  Reply here if you'd like to see it and I'll see if I can find it. 

Thanks. That would be great. I was looking at a 6th Gen yesterday. I liked the fact that the undertail exhaust left room for bags.

• Member Contributer

With a little fabrication, a 6th gen rack can be made to fit.

baltic.jpg

You will have to make some allowance for the exhaust...

9.jpg

No, that is not a twin exhaust; it is the container for my tent poles.... :beer:

• Member Contributer

Good to know..... I'd be more inclined to put on Givi V36/37 or maybe Shad.  Try Kappa racks, Givi's with a discount.

I'm currently modifying the (later style) Givi racks to only mount side bags.  I removed the handles and top plate brackets to make a cleaner bracket.  I don't plan to take passengers or use a top case.   It looks less messy without all that for use on a daily ride.   I also eliminated the lower tubes going to the passenger peg mounts and welded a second mounting hole.   Now I can remove the passenger seat, passenger pegs/brackets and install the rear cowl.   I can add pics later.   I can mount different styles of Givi bags too.   6th Gen bags look nice but they seem really wide.  

There is an earlier style Givi side case bracket that does not require the top case bracket to be installed.  This later style does require both the top and side to mount sides.  So that's why I made the above modifications.

• Member Contributer

Yeah if you are into tight, slim ass,

sidebags are not cutting the mustard....

• Member Contributer

If you want slimmer, and are into fabbing up the mounts, have a look at the bags on a Yamaha Tracer GT.  The bases are exact same as an FJR but with "city" lids which have a flatter profile... Upper mounting brackets I believe are available (used on ebay) for the FJ09.

Basically the bags hang with two "hooks" but need a lower mount.

• Member Contributer

I have had several fifth gens and all have had a Givi rack and bags. I've had two sets of Givi V41 liter  hard side cases and still use my second pair. One of my fifth gens came with 34 liter side bags. I use them in combination, usually the 41's as side cases and a 34 as a top case. If I anticipate less cargo I can use the two 34's as side cases. 

My second set came about when I found a Givi dealer in Italy had a complete set, including the mounting racks, on sale for a great price (can't remember the exact cost but it was about one-half off. They did take about five weeks to arrive. I think they shipped from Italy by row boat. 🙂

And I can vouch for the Givi hard bags durability: they survived a 65-mph freeway deer crash with out opening. Just a good deal of scratched on the outside.

• Member Contributer
On 3/2/2020 at 8:54 PM, Cogswell said:

Would like to see that myself.... :beer:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, mello dude said:

Would like to see that myself.... :beer:

Here 'ya go!  :fing02:  The mounts looks to be stock 6th gen adapted to fit.  There are some more detail shots of that if someone wants them.  However, note the Wolfe exhaust . . . that too has been replicated so still possible for a committed owner.  It would be interesting to know if this could be done with a low mount exhaust.  I really dig this setup.

Z1.jpg

Z2.jpg

Z3.jpg

vman932 10.jpg

vman932 1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Neatly done, but our "finest" would pull you over pronto as the licence plate is obscured.

Hard to see how/if he supported that section.....  

If it is just the struts at angle towards the passenger pegs and the (aluminum?) brackets at the top, I would not fully load the bags and ride WOT......

5 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Neatly done, but our "finest" would pull you over pronto as the licence plate is obscured.

Hard to see how/if he supported that section.....  

If it is just the struts at angle towards the passenger pegs and the (aluminum?) brackets at the top, I would not fully load the bags and ride WOT......

The Givi bracket also has that rear strut bar across the back.  I am dropping my plate mount to have it more visible.

• Member Contributer

The OEM setup has a solid metal bracket running from the rear subframe down to the back/inside of the licence plate holder. Here a metal plate is affixed that connects to the rear struts.

I modified that to fit the rear subframe of a 4th gen. This made it very very solid..

Despite colliding into an oncoming car that turned left infront of me, noting snapped or bent...

IMAG5004.thumb.jpg.93e92a241097015b4e27e3d18e971875.jpg

• Member Contributer

Full disclosure - that is not my bike.  The mounts do pick up all the mounting points on the 6th gen brackets (though the lower one from a different angle), so my intuition sez it should be solid - at least as much so as on 7th and 8th gens, but hard telling without seeing it person.  Good point on the plate - could probably be overcome by fabbing a bracket similar to the 6th gen setup to allow for exterior mounting of the plate. 

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Here 'ya go!  :fing02:  The mounts looks to be stock 6th gen adapted to fit.  There are some more detail shots of that if someone wants them.  However, note the Wolfe exhaust . . . that too has been replicated so still possible for a committed owner.  It would be interesting to know if this could be done with a low mount exhaust.  I really dig this setup.

vman932 1.jpg

That adapter bracket doesn't look like it's all that hard to fab, Hmmm....

Would figure something else for the bracket around the license plate...

• Member Contributer

The lower mount is attached to the footrest hanger by a rod,  prob ok front to rear,  but maybe not so much laterally.  On the 6th it attaches directly to the hanger,  so is solid.  Maybe something fab'd that drops straight down from the rear sub frame would anchor it more securly as well as be more or less out of sight. 

• Member Contributer

2 pieces of 1" tubing bent at 90° angle cut, and welded to 3/4" angle bolted to grab handle mounts. Simple, easy, and clean.

Version 2.jpg

Version 2 (1).jpg

• Member Contributer
On 3/7/2020 at 12:08 AM, mello dude said:

That adapter bracket doesn't look like it's all that hard to fab, Hmmm....

Would figure something else for the bracket around the license plate...

No, but it also looks like it won't last a season of riding.  I've had steel luggage brackets that cracked and had to be re-welded en route, and those look like simple alloy angle.  GiVi itself had to re-design their (steel) VFR800Fi brackets because their earlier design just couldn't take the punishment. 

Let's just say that doesn't look "over-engineered" to me!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, JZH said:

No, but it also looks like it won't last a season of riding.  I've had steel luggage brackets that cracked and had to be re-welded en route, and those look like simple alloy angle.  GiVi itself had to re-design their (steel) VFR800Fi brackets because their earlier design just couldn't take the punishment. 

Let's just say that doesn't look "over-engineered" to me!

Ciao,

JZH

Thanks for the tip. Guess I would have to put my engineer hat on and do some "over-enginering".

• Member Contributer
On 3/6/2020 at 8:41 AM, Dutchy said:

The OEM setup has a solid metal bracket running from the rear subframe down to the back/inside of the licence plate holder. Here a metal plate is affixed that connects to the rear struts.

I modified that to fit the rear subframe of a 4th gen. This made it very very solid..

Despite colliding into an oncoming car that turned left infront of me, noting snapped or bent...

IMAG5004.thumb.jpg.93e92a241097015b4e27e3d18e971875.jpg

I do have it on good authority (repeated personal experience) that hard bags make great frame sliders. (blush)

Archived