Fast Idle Wax Unit - Sectional Video and Pics

AcedIt

Since I replaced my fast idle wax unit I decided to dissect the old one for educational purposes. I've heard some say that there is no wax and it's only a hyperbolic spring. Some have said that it's just wax that expands and shrinks under temperature. And others say it's just a hyperbolic spring in submerged in coolant. In fact, no coolant touches any part of the internals. There are no coolant passages inside the FIWU chamber. As the coolant passes through below the unit, it's temperature increase and decrease has an affect on a copper base. This in turn does in fact liquefy some form of compound, in turn pushing and pulling the pin that interacts with the starter valve base plate on the throttle body assembly. The spring is what keeps the pin in any given position based on the temperature of the coolant. In the exploded pic one thing is missing which is the C-clip that keeps it all together. The damn thing flew across the shop and I can't find it, LOL!

In my video you'll see the compound melting however because the unit is sectioned it will not have an effect on the pin. You'll see the compound actually work it's way to the top of the pin but this is not what actually happens.

Hopefully this provides some sort of education. I thought it was fun. Enjoy.

Video:

20200301_093607.jpg

20200301_093822.jpg

20200301_093850.jpg

20200301_093932.jpg

20200301_094824.jpg

20200301_094927.jpg

Archived