Windscreen Lip service

CoyoteChris

• Member Contributer

Greetings all. A long and emotionally difficult winter full of death is about over and its time to go back  and pay attention to my almost new 2015 VFR.

I am wondering if anyone has purchased a windscreen lip deflector they are very happy with? I am six ft 2 inches and the stock one is fine in that there is no buffeting to speak of, but I thought I would try a deflector just to say I did.

A goldenskate.JPG

• Member Contributer

Hi Chris,

I sampled various bolt/clamp-on (on my 4th gen/RC36-2) and found them ineffective and more importantly, butt ugly....

https://www.nr1motor.nl/catalogsearch/result/?q=spoiler

I bought a double-bubble screen (dead cheap from China) and was happy with it; albeit it will never be effective as the barn door om my brother's Pan European/ST1100...

https://www.nr1motor.nl/honda/2017/vfr-800-onderdelen/windschermen-en-kuipruiten.html

(these are Dutch retailers)

You could try making dummy and affixing it with painters masking tape (that leaves no residue). Do post pictures if you do!

I have a Chinese knock off Givi Vario (you can see a real one in the first link Dutchy posted above) on my 8th gen.  Works pretty good for me (I'm 5'-10").

If you want to give a deflector a try and don't want to spend too much money, you can get a few knock offs here (and you can see the knock off givi here too) - https://www.aliexpress.com/af/motorcycle-wind-deflectors.html?d=y&origin=n&SearchText=motorcycle+wind+deflectors&catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20200222091407

That being said, if you're riding in a nice pocket right now, I wouldn't change anything... 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Samuelx said:

I have a Chinese knock off Givi Vario (you can see a real one in the first link Dutchy posted above) on my 8th gen.  Works pretty good for me (I'm 5'-10").

If you want to give a deflector a try and don't want to spend too much money, you can get a few knock offs here (and you can see the knock off givi here too) - https://www.aliexpress.com/af/motorcycle-wind-deflectors.html?d=y&origin=n&SearchText=motorcycle+wind+deflectors&catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20200222091407

That being said, if you're riding in a nice pocket right now, I wouldn't change anything... 

Thanks to you and Dutchy!  I will check that out....I have talked to a few people with other bikes and they really like them...they got cheap ones, also.....I also have a Givi windscreen to try. Wish the screen wasnt so hard to replace....

I am perfectly happey with the VFR the way it is and with a few more farkles I will take it for some fun touring to the Cascades and Rockies where there arent many straight roads. My FJR's electric windscreen is addictive but as I grow older, the bike grows heavier for some reason.  Very nice to take from Spokane to Reno and back for the air races every year, of course...but I think I will really enjoy the VFR on those windy Idaho roads. Last year I took my Vstrom to central Idaho and had a blast.

A1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi! (new member here; first post)

Instead of a deflector I chose to swap the screen with a double bubble. Improves wind deflection and aerodynamics for me going anything quicker than 60mph. I'm roughly 5‘9, and living in Autobahn-country am traveling at speed often. 

The swap is done within minutes (ensure to have a plastic tool for removing the panel though). 

The screen is a UK made Powerbronze Airflow in dark tint. (£65)

5CD755B3-6638-4D7B-8FD0-EC03F266A829.jpeg

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, Kamillus said:

Hi! (new member here; first post)

Instead of a deflector I chose to swap the screen with a double bubble. Improves wind deflection and aerodynamics for me going anything quicker than 60mph. I'm roughly 5‘9, and living in Autobahn-country am traveling at speed often. 

The swap is done within minutes (ensure to have a plastic tool for removing the panel though). 

The

Willkommen Kamillus.

That is a sehr gut 2017 model. Agree with you, I have the same PowerBronze screen in the light tint. The Black Frame on the 2017 looks very nice, I like how it flows into the black upper sections of the main fairing. :wheel:

Auf Wiedersehen.:beer:

• Member Contributer

I use a Powerbronze screen (I'm 6'). It works pretty good for airflow. I know they make a taller touring variant which would probably suit a man of your stature. I've never had good luck with add on lips, they're never quite right and always ugly.

Archived