6th Gen Air Funnels

AcedIt

I've seen some conversations about the orientation of these when reinstalling the air box. The manual appears to show them staggered whereas one tall and one short toward the front and the same in back but flipped. Comments?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
On 21 February 2020 at 11:50 AM, AcedIt said:

I've seen some conversations about the orientation of these when reinstalling the air box. The manual appears to show them staggered whereas one tall and one short toward the front and the same in back but flipped. Comments? emoji16.png

Interesting point you raise Acedit. Got a feeling that this stagger is all about balancing the air induction pulse with the V4 cylinder timing and crank angles.

Firing order is 1-3-2-4. The Front two cylinders are 2 left and 4 right. The Rear cylinders are 1 left and 3 right.

The shorter Air Funnels are at 2 and 3 the longer are at 1 and 4.

So that pattern relative to crank angle and firing order is:

1 to 3 = 180deg = a Long to Short Funnel.

3 to 2 = 270deg = a Short to Short Funnel.

2 to 4 = 180deg = a Short to Long Funnel.

4 back to 1 = 90deg = a Long to Long Funnel.

If I'm making any sense then you can see the balance effect going on. You can see the longest crank duration (270deg) has the two shortest funnels, while the shortest crank duration (90deg) has the two longest funnels, and both the 180deg durations have a short/long combination.

Hope this helps?

Cheers:wacko:

Interesting point you raise Acedit. Got a feeling that this stagger is all about balancing the air induction pulse with the V4 cylinder timing and crank angles.
Firing order is 1-3-2-4. The Front two cylinder are 2 left and 4 right. The Rear cylinders are 1 left and 3 right.
The shorter Air Funnels are at 2 and 3 the longer are at 1 and 4.
So that pattern relative to crank angle and firing order is:
1 to 3 = 180deg = a Long to Short Funnel.
3 to 2 = 270deg = a Short to Short Funnel.
2 to 4 = 180deg = a Long to Short Funnel.
4 to 1 = 90deg = a Long to Long Funnel.
If I'm making any sense then you can see the balance effect going on. You can see the longest crank duration (270deg) has the two shortest funnels, while the shortest crank duration (90deg) has the two longest funnels, and both the 180deg duration have a short/long combination.
Hope this helps?
Cheers:wacko:
Holy crap that is one intelligent explanation. Well done Sir, well done.

Archived