5th Gen engine out servicing and cleaning

DIBBLES

Hi all,

I’m undertaking a streetfighter build and I wanted some advice on what to service while I have the engine out (50,000 miles). I recently bought a 5th gen and the previous owner said it was mechanically perfect. 

I was keen to replace valve cover, engine cover and water pump gasket. Also the radiator hoses (changing to front mount), engine loom gauge upgrade and redress, intake rubber boots, COP kit, spark plugs, clutch pack and oil cooler. Obviously fluids will be changed too. Im also giving it a big clean and respraying the valve covers. 

I was wondering if there should be anything else I may want to consider doing. A few friends of mine suggested I change the head cover gasket. Not sure how prone these are to failing and I have plenty of experience working on cars but never changed a head gasket. 

Also any advice around the engine clean would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! 

C028DF11-AC26-414C-8CBB-8795AAA8B2F7.jpeg

• Member Contributer

If it were me I would do a valve check - it will never be easier than while it's right in front of you.  I don't believe Honda calls for a new valve cover gasket when removed, but they do spec a small amount of sealant around the corners.  The rear cam cover is powder coated while the front Honda left bare aluminum - dealer's choice on treating those.  I would also change out the thermostat - servicing that requires removal of the throttle body and since you already have that off it's prime time for it.  You'll find that the throttle body boots are no longer available new, so be kind to the ones you have.  They may be interchangeable with 6th/8th gen versions (which are available), but I've never seen anyone confirm that.

• Member Contributer
54 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

If it were me I would do a valve check - it will never be easier than while it's right in front of you.  I don't believe Honda calls for a new valve cover gasket when removed, but they do spec a small amount of sealant around the corners.  The rear cam cover is powder coated while the front Honda left bare aluminum - dealer's choice on treating those.  I would also change out the thermostat - servicing that requires removal of the throttle body and since you already have that off it's prime time for it.  You'll find that the throttle body boots are no longer available new, so be kind to the ones you have.  They may be interchangeable with 6th/8th gen versions (which are available), but I've never seen anyone confirm that.

What he said! Plus you might consider replacing the alternator, though it's easy enough to do when the engine is re-mounted.  :beer:

Good luck and please keep us abreast of your progress.

• Member Contributer

Valve check for sure and check the compression, if it's ok and PO said it was running fine I would not mess with head gaskets. Many examples of these motors going over 100K without any need to replace head gaskets, mine included. I think you've got it all covered, good luck on the project.

Archived