Motorcycle Consumer News, RIP

JZH

• Member Contributer

I just got a letter from the publisher, Lumina Media LLC, informing me that it was shutting down, and had in fact already distributed the final issue of MCN in January.  This notice is also on their website:

To our Subscribers, Contributors, and Suppliers:

Please be advised that the Publisher of Motorcycle Consumer News and Auto Restorer magazines, Lumina Media, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company (the “Company”), doing business at 640 Avis Drive, Suite 200, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108, will be dissolved by written resolution of the sole manager and all members of the Company, effective as of February 1, 2020 (the “Dissolution Date”). Effective as of the Dissolution Date, the Company will cease its business operations and shall continue for the sole purpose of winding up its business affairs. The last publication of Motorcycle Consumer News was distributed (shipped) on January 17, 2020, and the last publication of Auto Restorer was distributed (shipped) on January 17, 2020. Subscription payments for future issues paid by credit card or check after the Dissolution Date will not be processed. If you paid for future subscriptions by check and the check has not been drawn against your bank account as of this notice, the check has been or will be destroyed by the Company. If you otherwise paid for future publications in advance, you may submit a claim for the value of the issues you will not receive in accordance with the below instructions.

Please be further advised that the Company has insufficient assets to satisfy all of its liabilities. Upon the conclusion of the wind-up process, creditors will receive a pro rata distribution of available assets, if any, to satisfy claims submitted in accordance with the following:

1. If you believe that the Company owes you money, you must submit a final invoice or claim for any liability through the Dissolution Date in writing and include the claim amount, basis for the claim, origination date, proof of payment if a subscription claim (e.g. copy of front and back of cancelled check; as well as other data mentioned here), and documentation evidencing the basis of the claim.
  2. The deadline for submitting claims is March 9, 2020.
  3. Any claims that are not received by the Company on or prior to March 9, 2020 may not receive a distribution from the assets of the Company, to the extent such distribution is made.
  4. All claim submissions must be sent to: Lumina Media, 640 Avis Drive, Suite 200, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, Attn: Lumina Claims Desk.

Dated: February 1, 2020

Lumina Media, LLC

Sad to see them go.  MCN was my last active magazine subscription (I had just renewed last November).

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, JZH said:

I just got a letter from the publisher, Lumina Media LLC, informing me that it was shutting down, and had in fact already distributed the final issue of MCN in January.  This notice is also on their website:

Sad to see them go.  MCN was my last active magazine subscription (I had just renewed last November).

JZH

News to me, thank you for posting JZH. MCN (U.S.) still actually tested bikes, and had some good writers, particularly Glynn Kerr and Mark Barnes, who I always looked forward to reading.

Ironically, I always viewed Rider as the lightweight in this category, but now they're the only monthly left standing!

Sorry to see them go, they were excellent.

Not long ago they had talk in the mag about putting all the old issues on line.

Guess that won't be happening.

Bummer.

I used to get 7 or 8 paid mags plus a couple freebies. All I get now is Cycle World which is down to quarterly, and the AMA magazine for members.

Almost all the rest have folded. I still miss Cycle News, the web site is not the same as opening a paper mag.

• Member Contributer

The internet wiped out many businesses including magazines.  My last MC subscription just faded out where I was only getting a couple issues a year.  

• Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, Fritzer said:

The internet wiped out many businesses including magazines.  My last MC subscription just faded out where I was only getting a couple issues a year.  

:sad:

While I really miss the anticipation of a new edition of monthly magazines, I've learned so much more from the forums - swaps, parts interchangabilty, mods, repairs, and met so many nice people, the web has significantly enhanced my motorcycling experience.  I just wish the two could co-exist, but like so many other parts of life, things change.  

Australian Motorcycle News (AMCN) seems to be going strong, it comes out every fortnight and there's always a recent copy in the lunchroom where I work (major hospital).

• Member Contributer
On 2/17/2020 at 8:44 AM, The Phantom said:

Australian Motorcycle News (AMCN) seems to be going strong, it comes out every fortnight and there's always a recent copy in the lunchroom where I work (major hospital).

We still have Motor Cycle News (a weekly tabloid, basically) here in the UK, but it's totally unrelated to the US magazine.  At least there won't be any more confusion when I mention "MCN" across the Pond... 😕

Ciao,

JZH

Archived