Question on the forks!

Northesk

Hello there,

I've been having a go at rebuilding the forks on my 2001 5th Gen. I've managed to be successful in dismantling the fork assembly, but the top cap on one of the forks was already rounded by someone else, and was also on ludicrously tight (I ended up having to go find someone with an air impact wrench to loosen it off, and even he struggled with it). Seeing that replacement fork caps are now discontinued at OE level, are there aftermarket options to replace these? All I know is that they are the standard 41mm Showa forks, so perhaps other bikes, not just exclusively Honda I imagine must have had surely the same one?

Thanks in advance!

N

• Member Contributer

Just get some bent ones off the 'Bay.  Assuming you mean the cap that screws into the fork tube, the exact same part number was used on the RC36 since 1992, and all pre-VTEC RC46s.

Ciao,

JZH

On 2/15/2020 at 6:11 AM, simo5555 said:

The MSP still lists them for sale. Might be worth checking out: https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/honda-parts/2001-vfr800fi-motorcycles/f-10-front-fork

I ought to follow up on this. I had to enquire about it but after a query made to them, they are indeed discontinued and didn't have any in inventory.

However, I have managed to source a fork cap, purchased from a company called PDQ Motorcycle Developments in the UK. The cap came off one of the staff member's VFR800, which he no longer needed as he had installed the forks and brakes from a VTR1000 Firestorm. Thank you for your help 🙂

N

• Member Contributer

Actually, the bushings don't necessarily look worn to me. The thicker lower bushing is showing a full dark grey coating of teflon on its outer, sliding face, as it should. The skinnier upper bushing is showing its non-sliding, back surface that sits wedged into the top of the fork leg. You can't see the sliding face against the fork tube. 

Archived