New tires for a 1986 VF500

CEHobson

• Member Contributer

I can't imagine that there will be a lot of choice in the stock 100/90-16 and 110/90-18 sizes, maybe just the Brdigestone BT45, but I've heard good things about those. 

• Member Contributer

Terry is right, its pretty thin out there for the stock sizes in a matched set. I bought a set of Pirelli Sport Demons for my 86 VF500F, but have not used them yet. I bought them based on my experience with my 87 VFR which I used Sport Demons on because of the 16"/18" combo. They are bias tires and you will never confuse them with radials, but all in all they performed fine. Otherwise you would have to either sneak a 120 on the rear as part of a set or change rims. A buddy of mine out in San Diego who is part owner of a bike shop swapped a pair of 17's onto his 86. Think they were F3's. The machining was extensive and there was a swingarm conversion/modification and the front rotors/calipers still needed alignment. Unless you have a lathe and milling machine and the resources of a proper MC shop its probably impractical, certainly was for me...………..:) My oem rims looked fine after looking at all the mods needed. Good Luck. 

• Member Contributer

I have BT45's on mine, for (in total) some 20,000 miles now. Rain, dry, hot or cold, they do the business.

With restraint, I would do a trackday in them as well methink....

(I have long since ditched the worn out suspension front and back)

IMG-20191108-WA0015.thumb.jpeg.2f8270fa8aa1883af983b39537317496.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived