G'day, long time no write fellow VFR geeks!!

I've spent the last hour going through oh, umpteen search results looking for a thread on how to DIY your own 3rd gen sidestand cover as they are no longer available from OEM part stores and rarer than rocking horse poo on ebay etc.

Was there not a thread by someone who fabricated their own? If there was can someone pretty please (with a VFR on top) provide me with a link? If not, I wonder if Seb has ever thought of CDCing or 3D printing one or otherwise looked at providing these as a product, just as with his clear cluth covers???

Bueller?

Thanks in advance and do keep the rubber side down!!

• Member Contributer

Well hello son, long time no speak!

I believe Thurn Motorsport Germany made copies...........  at a cost though...

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

3D printing

You'd think 3D printing would be a natural for lots of these little plasticky bits. Once the file is created, anybody could churn one out...

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

G'day, long time no write fellow VFR geeks!!

I've spent the last hour going through oh, umpteen search results looking for a thread on how to DIY your own 3rd gen sidestand cover as they are no longer available from OEM part stores and rarer than rocking horse poo on ebay etc.

Was there not a thread by someone who fabricated their own? If there was can someone pretty please (with a VFR on top) provide me with a link? If not, I wonder if Seb has ever thought of CDCing or 3D printing one or otherwise looked at providing these as a product, just as with his clear cluth covers???

Bueller?

Thanks in advance and do keep the rubber side down!!

Third-gen?  Asking for a friend, etc?

(P.S. are you actually back in Spain?)

Ciao,

JZH

2 hours ago, Auspanyol said:
21 hours ago, Dutchy said:
Well hello son, long time no speak!

I believe Thurn Motorsport Germany made copies...........  at a cost though...

I did mention Thurn to the person interested ... even had a quick look on their website and didn't see it, but I didn't dig very deep...

If I understand their catalogue right they have 2 left at the moment (last column in their pdf catalogue indicates 2 but the heading is an abbreviation HR / DD, in German / English... I had searched for the sidestand cover and they have it as a kickstand cover!! D'oh!! 53 Euros a piece.

• Member Contributer

Stumbled across mine the other day, and thought, "I could make these..." now I can't find the damn thing. Maybe I dreamed it....anyway if I find it again, I will let you know if I can make it....

• Member Contributer
On 2/12/2020 at 9:47 PM, RC1237V said:

Stumbled across mine the other day, and thought, "I could make these..." now I can't find the damn thing. Maybe I dreamed it....anyway if I find it again, I will let you know if I can make it....

If you find it, could you please post a few pictures along with some kind of scale? I've never actually seen one in real life, but if it is basically a bit of angle iron then a reasonable facsimile might be fashioned out of a simple scrap of aluminum or ABS. Maybe nothing that would pass close inspection, but close enough for us non-purists, and for a lot less than the 59 euros of the real deal...

1101429710_Screenshot(85).png.6760be13e497371dfee5b443ba05f510.png

(price list Thurn-Motorsport.de)

• Member Contributer

I have an old R-157 one with buggered mounting bosses.  Let's see if I can find it...

126734824_20200216_1235131x.thumb.jpg.188071a3c7fcb45277f3b7abc6b278dc.jpg

20200216_123117x.thumb.jpg.9027b024ed094d248da774c80ba78aea.jpg

20200216_123124x.thumb.jpg.314fe8d840988455d7380d52fe569cb0.jpg

20200216_123215x.thumb.jpg.293efb9c14616d7a48df1b09a9b5db6e.jpg

20200216_123201x.thumb.jpg.181ce5267b7112753debd97c1c52d21c.jpg

I'd be happy to send it to anyone who would make a 3D printing file of it to share with the group.  It's just under 240mm in its longest dimension.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, JZH said:

It's just under 240mm in its longest dimension.

Oh. John. Excellent. Thanks for the pictures. I have access to a printer that makes bits up to about 10 inches. This would work. But it only makes PLA prints, not ABS. So, not great. PLA is like leftover corn stalks. Not the best material for this sort of thing. More on that here:

https://www.3dhubs.com/knowledge-base/pla-vs-abs-whats-difference/#what-are-abs-and-pla

Anyway, to be clear, it's about 240mm long, like this?

603736030_sidestandcover2.jpg.45b00719588d27731abb97a099b186ff.jpg

That would make it about 60mm wide. The angled bit looks to be 22mm max. It seems to me my sidestand has two screw holes, so it must attach from the back. That might be tricky. Still, how hard can this be? I'd be inclined to drill the mounting holes in the homemade piece and just live with two more visible fairing bolts.

A 10 inch scrap of extruded aluminum or steel or maybe even a leftover corner chunk of tv set cabinet and you're done. 20 minutes. EZ peazy...  😉 

broken-tv-.jpg.50bfb7d372bdddbaeba07deb05335288.jpg

(file pic)

...well, okay, maybe a little longer than 20 minutes...but totally doable... I have to think a bit.

(Ed. Oops. I've been privately...if unofficially...notified that I am dangerously close to hijacking this thread. Apologies to Auspanglish for the breach of protocol. I will continue on my own thread if I proceed with this little project.)

• Member Contributer

Yes, 240mm in length.  It originally mounted from the back, and those two mounting bosses used to be not half-corroded!  Unfortunately, it is a very complex shape, as you can see from the first picture above--well beyong my capability to model.  I think it would have to be scanned or fiberglass-molded.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, JZH said:

Yes, 240mm in length.  It originally mounted from the back, and those two mounting bosses used to be not half-corroded!  Unfortunately, it is a very complex shape, as you can see from the first picture above--well beyong my capability to model.  I think it would have to be scanned or fiberglass-molded.

I agree. The shape is complex and a proper copy would have to be scanned and molded or printed in ABS or fiberglass.

But that isn't stopping me from playing with a crude replacement. I cut out a cardboard copy from my guesstimates of the dimensions from your pictures.

IMG_3870.jpg.f8561525a831023e50bf332228d7865a.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg.722dad3b0ef539790eb45b8356f0e565.jpg

And I think I'll try to make up a prototype from a scrap of PVC fence post when I get a chance. The PVC might be sturdy enough to work down there on the kick stand. I don't know how Honda ever expected the ABS covers to hold up in that location. I'll post progress on my own thread. 

• Member Contributer

Upper boss = 18.8mm tall

Lower boss = 16.8mm tall

Both bosses angled slightly toward flange

80mm wide

20200220_213327.jpg

20200220_213428.jpg

• Member Contributer

I could make some, but it would not be profitable....the previously mentioned 3D printing would probably be the best....and beefing up the bosses would help too!

Upper boss is 24mm from edge and lower boss is 26.75mm from edge. Bosses are ~108.5 center to center

• Member Contributer
On 2/21/2020 at 12:47 AM, RC1237V said:

I could make some, but it would not be profitable....the previously mentioned 3D printing would probably be the best....and beefing up the bosses would help too!

Thanks for the additional pictures and dimensions. The 3D file is the way to go. Thurn's price of 59 euros is a lot. But it's reassuring that somebody bothers to makes these available at any price.

Your pictures make a few things more obvious. The angle between the two primary faces is greater than 90 degrees. Maybe 120 degrees. And that dimple that covers the sidestand bolt will not be easy to replicate. The bosses are a problem too. I'm guessing that broken bosses are a primary point of failure on the originals. It'll take some tweaking on my cardboard prototype. I'll continue my own development on a separate thread.

(Ed. I did continue with this. And came up with a reasonable facsimile for my bike. It's on page 7 in my own restoration thread in third and fourth generation forum.)

sidestandx.jpg.d12d549e21f465a0adcf05373aded53b.jpg

Archived