Headlights randomly dimming

Cheburashka

07 with 50K miles. Harness and stator have been replaced. I'm assuming the RR was also replaced at some point.

As I ride home, I notice my lights randomly dim and get brighter. Bike starts and runs fine.

I think this is a RR issue, but not sure.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Are you good with a Voltmeter? Do you have the Service Manual? You can download it from this site.

If you can confirm your battery charge voltage is stable, then I would be suspicious of poor headlight grounding.

If your charge voltage is erratic then this could most likely be a Stator, R/R or poor 30amp main fuse B wiring.

The Green wire through the Blue connector is a common problem which can also cause headlight relay chattering and other issues. Attached is a fairly easy mod to correct this issue by providing a good solid ground for the headlight Green wire ground.

NOTE - You only need to add the Ground wire to the forward/left side of the Blue connector, no need to Ground both sides of the green wire at the Blue conector as per photo.

image.jpeg

Well, probably not a coincidence, but one of my low beam bulbs went out today. I'm hoping it was just a bulb issue.

I did check the battery with a voltmeter this morning and, at idle, all systems seem to be running fine.

Next step is replace the bulb and see if the problem goes away. If not, will diagnose for the faulty ground.

Thanks for the help!

Archived