Tail Light/Front Turn Signal Conversion

schrackster

• Member Contributer

I'm trying to convert my 2005 tail light and front turn signals to the 2007 year clear lenses.  I purchased the OEM clear 2007 tail light and clear front turn signal lenses.  Tried to install them but the connectors that house the light bulbs are different and will not fit into the new parts.  Has anyone tried to do this?  If so, what am I missing?  I'm thinking I have to purchase the bulb connectors and rewire my 2005 harness front/rear with 2007 connectors (that house the bulbs and connect to the light enclosures).  I don't want to have to by the main wire harness, which is about $300 (which would be for the tail light), the front harness is about $100.  Does anyone know where I can get just the light bulb connectors from the 2007 model year?  I've looked around the forum and couldn't find a discussion on this mod.  Thanks....

• Member Contributer

You could ask your local (Honda) mc dealer if they have a pile of wiring looms from crashed and written off/ insurance bikes.

I needed the connectors for my RC51 (reverting back to OEM, PO had hacked the wiring loom) and found some this way.  Used Posi-taps to rewire the lot. Not pretty but hey, it is hidden in the rear cowl... 

image.thumb.png.7c68f78c4d74386d55af19585e2f2a85.png

image.thumb.png.2155a7772ab2e333d77bd3c559d42bc3.png

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, schrackster said:

I'm trying to convert my 2005 tail light and front turn signals to the 2007 year clear lenses.  I purchased the OEM clear 2007 tail light and clear front turn signal lenses.  Tried to install them but the connectors that house the light bulbs are different and will not fit into the new parts.  Has anyone tried to do this?  If so, what am I missing?  I'm thinking I have to purchase the bulb connectors and rewire my 2005 harness front/rear with 2007 connectors (that house the bulbs and connect to the light enclosures).  I don't want to have to by the main wire harness, which is about $300 (which would be for the tail light), the front harness is about $100.  Does anyone know where I can get just the light bulb connectors from the 2007 model year?  I've looked around the forum and couldn't find a discussion on this mod.  Thanks....

I converted my '04 to clear lenses several years ago. I went to ebay and found a wiring harness off a later model vfr and swapped the connectors. It was so long ago that I don't remember what I paid, don't think it was outrageous though... 

What you need is a T20S amber sockets (honda part no. 33303-SAA-003) and oval shaped connectors for them (part no. 04321-S5A-307P). Its the newer honda connector that replaced the old one (not sure why). You can just solder the connector to your existing wiring - no need to rewire the main harness. Its just 2 wires. The T20S socket was also used in some newer Civics and some acuras so you might find the connectors from your local scrapyard for next to nothing. Or you could ask from dealership for them. Not sure about the US, but in europe it costs something like 15€ for a set of connector. The brake light socket should be the same as the old one.

• Member Contributer

You guys are AWESOME!!!  I’ve been beating my head on the wall on this for a couple of months.  I’ve been looking at the parts diagram, but didn’t see the one “Milepig” posted above, thanks LocalRacer as well. I’ll order those connectors and I should be good to go.  The main brake light is the same, its just the turn signals that use the newer connectors.  Much appreciate the help on this mod.  Will show photos when done, but it will have to wait a couple of months as I’m in the Philippines for work. 

• Member Contributer

Sorry I'm late to the party. My 2003 6th Gen came with '06+ clear tail lights, but the previous owner had just butchered the stock connectors to fit. It always bugged me and I spent a stupid amount of time tracking the right connectors down. I posted my findings in a thread about it, but the VFRD search engine refused to find it and it wasn't listed under my activity. 

Anyway, I finally found the thread. The connector you need is a Sumitomo HX .040" connector and can be obtained from the Cycle Terminal website.

• 4 months later...
On 2/8/2020 at 9:36 AM, TheLimey said:

Sorry I'm late to the party. My 2003 6th Gen came with '06+ clear tail lights, but the previous owner had just butchered the stock connectors to fit. It always bugged me and I spent a stupid amount of time tracking the right connectors down. I posted my findings in a thread about it, but the VFRD search engine refused to find it and it wasn't listed under my activity. 

Anyway, I finally found the thread. The connector you need is a Sumitomo HX .040" connector and can be obtained from the Cycle Terminal website.

Forgive my ignorance, but would that be a center rib (HX040-2), or bottom rib (HX040-2 BR) connector?

Archived