99 won't start

Aparator

Last time I got her to start was Christmas. It was a little wet out so not sure if that had any impact.

Tried starting it up a week or so after, it fired but then quickly died and wouldn't start again. 

Today I think it's an electrical issue as it won't start with the air filter off and starting fluid. 

What's the process of trouble shooting this issue?

Thanks

It seems as though I have some electrical ghosts. 

I let it idle and warm up but the radiator fan didn't turn on. The fan switch is new and is set to 180. 

Any ideas?

check when cool that fluid is fully topped up.  what was temp when u expected fan to start ? touch wire on thermoswitch to ground and see if fan runs then (key on ).

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Aparator said:

Last time I got her to start was Christmas. It was a little wet out so not sure if that had any impact.

Tried starting it up a week or so after, it fired but then quickly died and wouldn't start again. 

Today I think it's an electrical issue as it won't start with the air filter off and starting fluid. 

What's the process of trouble shooting this issue?

Thanks

Download the FSM here

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/file/246-98-01-vfr-service-manual/

and follow the troubleshooting procedures.  One often overlooked item on bikes that sit is a weak battery - it should hold around 10.5 v while cranking.  If it's more than a few years old and in doubt, always good maintenance to replace with a fresh unit. 

• Member Contributer

Agree with Squirrelbrains to test your fan simply take the Fan Black wire and Ground it, or if easier, just use a clip lead to ground and touch the other end to the Black wire at the Thermoswitch, the fan should run with Ignition On. Also check your Fan Fuse E 10amp.

• Member Contributer

Be sure the rad is completely full. If not, coolant wil not cover the switch and it will not work.  Bleed the system with the bike on the sidestand to ensure the cap is the highest point in the system.

Archived