VFR800 Sound Track from Phillip Island

ca315

For those of you who like a VFR800 sound track, this is a clip from one of the track day sessions yesterday at Phillip Island. Speedo and tacho in the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO5JZZgC5Vo&t=740s

Some highlights; geese on the track at 1:40 and a dice with a CBR1000 starting at 14.00, he runs wide at 14:44. He could only get me on the straight.

VFR is a 99 model, performance mods:

·     Power commander

·     Air box mods

·     BMC air filter

·     Wilbers suspension front and read

·     Brembo disk and pads

·     Galfer braided lines

·     Metzler M7 tires

·     Staintune exhaust (no restrictor)

I had an aversion to scratching it, so not pushing as hard as you could. I was lapping around the 2:10 mark, best 2:07. To give a comparison I was sharing the garage with a 2016 BMW 1000RR, he had just bought it and got down to 2:03 at the end of the day and 275km/h down the straight vs my 210km/h (speedo has a HealTech SpeedoHealer on it, so it is accurate). More experienced riders on the same BWM’s on slicks were around 1:53. So not bad for a 21 year old bike on road tires.

• Member Contributer

Loved watching the video ca135, looked like great fun. The bike sounded great. A track day at Philip Island is on my bucket list.

Thanks for posting the video. 

• Member Contributer

Very nice video. I really enjoyed it. I am curious; do you check your tach as you approach redline or do you just wait for the rev limiter to cut-out?

• 1 month later...

Here is another sound track from Phillip Island 6 Mar 2020, this one has speed and track position. 

On 2/6/2020 at 5:32 AM, MaxSwell said:

Very nice video. I really enjoyed it. I am curious; do you check your tach as you approach redline or do you just wait for the rev limiter to cut-out?

I watch the tacho, change up around 11k. Max power is around 10k, so drops just below max power when you change.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:43 PM, ca315 said:

Here is another sound track from Phillip Island 6 Mar 2020, this one has speed and track position. 

My man, that looks like fun, but you gotta work on those shifts. You're spending too much time in between gears and your rpm is getting all out of whack. Try this. First, quit using the clutch on your upshifts.  As you approach max rpm, preload the shifter, then roll off slightly and immediately back on the throttle. You'll find yourself in the next gear so quickly and so smoothly you won't believe it.

Downshiftiing is a little trickier, but you can smooth that out too. There are two scenarios that require different techniques. Typically you're on the brakes and at idle while you downshift. Try rolling the throttle open a little bit while you downshift. Try to get the rpm to stabilize or even increase, so you're already at the correct rpm for the next lower gear.

Sometimes you're at a steady throttle state and you want to downshift to get to a lower gear for a certain corner.  Here's a great trick. Preload the shifter, hold the throttle steady, and start to squeeze the clutch. As the clutch disengages the bike will shift to the next lower gear, AND the rpm will increase so you're already at the correct rpm. Money! (Coming into turn 2 looks like the perfect place to use that technique.)

Two other thoughts. I think you're shifting too early, especially on the front straight. There's still a lot of hp up above 11K rpm. I'd hold it wide open until at least 12K, then quick shift as discussed above. I'll bet you end up 10-12 kph faster at the end of the straight. You have good telemetry there so it will be pretty easy to see which technique works better.

I also think you're a little low on rpm in the corners. I might try adding a tooth in the back so you have a little more drive out of those corners. I actually went with -1/+1. It REALLY made a difference. Completely different bike.

Hey, feel free to disregard it all. There's nothing worse than some dickhead picking apart your riding videos.  But what the hell, everyone is stuck inside and we'll all be dead in a month anyway.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Appreciate you posting these. As a track day coach, I particularly enjoyed them! I'd love to run that track one day...and Portimao. 

Here's a pic from last year when I took the two street bikes to CMP in Kershaw, SC (which they are FINALLY repaving!)

N2_CMP-20190901095641-6345sm.jpg

Archived