Clutch Slave Cylinder installation No Go - Wtf?

JimMoore

Hi guys,

I took my slave cylinder off today to change the chain and front sprocket. Now I can't get the slave cylinder back on. It bottoms out (hard) about a quarter inch before it should, well prior to the dowels touching? What am I doing wrong? I'm pretty sure I didn't squeeze in the clutch so I think everything is still in the same place.  

Thanks,

• Member Contributer

Its quite normal for the slave piston to creep out while the slave is dismounted; gravity pushing the fluid down there I think. Try pushing the piston back in with a clamp before you refit the slave. 

Yep, that was it! Thanks. I kinda thought it was something like that, but that piston REALLY didn't want to go back in. that's why I thought there was something else going on.  I ended up using the giant C-clamp.  

• Member Contributer

The slave cylinder is really no different to any of the brake pistons; it should be able to be pushed home with some moderate effort, you are only working against seal friction, the internal spring and the resistance of the fluid returning to the master reservoir. If the tiny return port at the master is clogged, that would require a lot more effort; maybe some cleaning and bleeding is in your future? If the return port blocks, your clutch will start to slip. As a maintenance fiend I would also advocate lubing the lever pivot, and pulling the pushrod out of the cases and cleaning and polishing that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've just replaced the seal and piston in mine because I had the same problem.  I actually change the friction plates and once put back together, the clutch lever would not move - locked completely up!

I ended up popping the slave piston out and it was pretty cruddy.  There was some odd gold coloured stuff inhabiting the rubber seal.  I figured it's a 20-year old bike so was worth replacing the rubber.

After I cleaned the old piston up, I saw it was pretty badly pitted so bought a new one.  Because of the way it was scored, it actually looked like the push rod was binding and making it turn.

If it wouldn't retract by hand I would really advise you to get it serviced.  It's an easy job and I'd be happy to share my photos and give you help 'if' you need it.

Archived