Electrical Problem (Lights Off and High Beam Indicator On)

Headhunter

I started my bike this weekend and it appears that both of my headlights are out as well as the left side front signal.  And, the "High Beam" indicator is lit up blue as if the beams were on but it won't turn off.  Surely my headlights didn't both fail at once and cause this?

Anyone?

• Member Contributer

You may have blown globes, but the Hi Beam Indicator is the interesting one. Do you have the wiring diagram for your bike?

The power for the Hi Beam indicator is from the Hi Beam relay when it's energised. So if Hi Beam is NOT selected the Hi Beam relay should Not be energised and the indicator should be OFF. There could be a chance that the relay contacts have shorted.

You need to check with a voltmeter if you have a permanent 12v at the Blue wire of the dimmer switch (or the Hi Beam relay base, probe the Blue wire, if that's easier to get at) as this is what energises the Hi Beam Relay. You should ONLY see 12v on this wire when Hi Beam is selected, if you have 12v on the Blue wire all the time (with Ignition to ON), then your Dimmer Switch is faulty.

If all seems normal at the Dimmer Switch try swapping the Hi Beam Relay with the Lo Beam Relay. If doing that turns the Hi Beam indicator to OFF you've diagnosed a faulty relay.

Poor Grounds for your lighting system could create strange effects, check that you lighting grounds are good.

And just for the hell of it make sure Fuses F 20amp and G 10amp are O.K.

Get back to us with what you find.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Dropping it off with my mechanic later this week.  Ugh.  

Keep us posted with what your mechanic finds.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

My '99 has LED headlights and lately when I turn it on in the garage in cold weather the right side LED bulb is out, the blue High Beam indicator is lighted, and cycling the switch changes nothing. Indicator stays lighted, left beam does not change, right bulb remains dark. In warmer temperatures everything functions correctly.

High beam relay on the way out?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

My '99 has LED headlights and lately when I turn it on in the garage in cold weather the right side LED bulb is out, the blue High Beam indicator is lighted, and cycling the switch changes nothing. Indicator stays lighted, left beam does not change, right bulb remains dark. In warmer temperatures everything functions correctly.

High beam relay on the way out?

Check you have good solid Grounds for your lighting system (Grounds = Effectively ZERO Ohms back to the Negative Battery terminal). If the headlights ground is poor it could mean you'll apply 12v to the Hi Beam Indicator turning it On, even when Lo Beam is selected.

Confirm you have 12v at the Hi Beam relay Blue wire when hi beam selected and make sure the relay coil ground side is properly grounded. Any doubts about the relay swap it with any of the others they are all the same.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 2/20/2020 at 5:32 PM, Headhunter said:

Easy fix.  Headlight connectors were corroded and needed replacing. 

I don't know if I solved anything, but after reading your post I went and fished out the offending right side connector. It's an LED and has a pigtail on the bulb housing, so there is more slack to work with. Messing with it seemed to solve it, at least for now.

Archived