Intallation of OEM Pannier rack on Gen 6?

Kimbo

I have recently purchased a set of Honda (OEM) Panniers and racks.   There a small bag of bolts, Nuts Spacers, sleeves and brackets for the under rear guard/fender fitting.   Ihave the Honda installation directions that are in several languages  ... 'It may sound dumb, but to me they are as clear as mud' .... Has anyone either fitted one of these or can point me in the right direction to find a step by step guide?  HELP!!!!

• Member Contributer

If these are made by Givi, this info may be helpful. Check with https://www.givi.co.uk/.

If you can call USA numbers try these:

North Carolina Location             Nevada Location

9309 Forsyth Park Dr.                  506 E. Glendale Ave

Charlotte, NC 28273                     Sparks, NV 89431

United States                                 United States                     

(704) 679-4123                             (775) 359-0900

I have found their engineers are very helpful.

As for the actual instalation, know the whole assembly is under slight spring tension when finally complete. This will involve slightly bending the lower support bars to connect to the screw/bolt below the pillion foot pegs. Key to assembly is to loosly get all the pieces into their respective positions before tightening anything down. 

Good luck.

• Member Contributer
On 1/18/2020 at 8:05 PM, Kimbo said:

I have recently purchased a set of Honda (OEM) Panniers and racks.   There a small bag of bolts, Nuts Spacers, sleeves and brackets for the under rear guard/fender fitting.   Ihave the Honda installation directions that are in several languages  ... 'It may sound dumb, but to me they are as clear as mud' .... Has anyone either fitted one of these or can point me in the right direction to find a step by step guide?  HELP!!!!

The instructions give you joint information on fitting just the rack and the rak and pannier frames. When you offer the parts up into position the necessary spacers will be obvious by the gaps.

• Member Contributer

There was a thread on here at one time with detailed photos and instructions of installing OEM luggage on a 6th gen.  The owner had a RWB.  I don't recall who the OP was, but a diligent search through the 6th gen forum might turn it up.

• 2 months later...

So I found a great price on the OEM bags and racks and thought I was ready to go. Unfortunately for me the original owner of my bike had installed a Fender Eliminator, so a lot of the gubbins (technical term) required were not there. Spent a lot of time going through schematics looking for all the bits and bobs necessary to install. Cost me at least another $100. that I hadn't budgeted for ordering mounting brackets, nuts, bolts, etc. Became very familiar with the good folks at S. Sound Honda.   

• 4 months later...

Here's a link to the excellent writeup (with photos) by Bryan217 on installing OEM luggage on a 6th gen. It's definitely worth reading if you're about to install a luggage rack. 

Archived