Temp gauge inop

PN5

Hey there, new here. I have a 1992 vfr 750 that the temp gauge has never worked in the 3 years i have owned it. It's starts on the cold side when 1st started, but rises quickly, with 30 seconds, too full hot side when engine is still cold.

I changed the sender, but no difference.

• Member Contributer

If you disconnect the sensor, what then? Don't let the connector touch minus/ground.

• Member Contributer

Make sure you have good continuity of the Green/Blue wire, zero ohms from the Sensor up to the Instrument panel as this wire goes through a couple of connectors you may just have a bad connection, or a short to frame.

Failing that and if you're confident the Sensor is good then it points to a faulty gauge or its internal connections in the instrument cluster.

• Member Contributer

You can download the shop manual for the VFR 750 1992 here

If disconnecting sensor made a difference then:

Look at page 18-18 for testing the sensor.

If disconnecting sensor made no difference then:

A little more work... You need to disassemble the upper failing so you can get behind the instrument cluster

1. Locate the 2 6-pin connectors - disconnect, inspect and clean. Reconnect and check gauge
  2. At the bottom left of the instrument cluster you have 3 screw-terminals for the temp gauge - check they are color coded as drawing on page 18-11 (attached)
  3. If you have a voltmeter (if not no worries just skip) you should have 12 volts (ish) between left and right terminal and also between center and right. + is the right Black/Brown terminal. Ignition needs to be on
  4. Locate the Green/Blue wire with a screw-terminal at the left bottom side of instrument cluster (this wire is from the sensor) - disconnect and check gauge
  5. If previous step ok, then run a wire directly from terminal to sensor - check gauge
  6. If previous step ok, then you need to decide if you want to do more work to locate the wire problem or choose to route a new wire

While you have fairing in bits and pieces, I strongly suggest you change all bulbs for the instrument light or even replace with LED15468312_Skrmbillede2020-01-17kl_09_49_10.thumb.png.b332caba29320a1984f7ac760802abd6.png

gauge registers ok, so i'd guess it's probably good.  the only thing that would make it jump to the top is a short to ground on the wire from sensor to gauge.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, squirrelbrains said:

gauge registers ok, so i'd guess it's probably good.  the only thing that would make it jump to the top is a short to ground on the wire from sensor to gauge.

Try disconnecting the Green Blue wire, and just patch in a new wire from as near the instrument as possible and the other end to the Sensor. Run your bike and see how the gauge performs. If all is ok, and you cant find where the short is on the original wire, then just make your new wire permanent.

Archived