4G tire options

I have a 5G wheel mounted on my 97 so I could run a more common 180 tire. My 94 still has the original wheel with a 170 tire. Does anyone run a 180 tire on the original width 4G wheel?

paul in SoCal

• Member Contributer

I wouldn’t, as it crowns the tire, affecting the footprint. Manufacturers design tires around specific rim widths, so you’re best to stick with a 170 on the 5” rim. Plenty of 5th Gen wheels around to swap, though. 

• Member Contributer

Or 3rd Gen wheel, even though the 3rd Gen ran a 170 tire, it is a 5.5" vs. 5" of the 4th Gen.

• Member Contributer

It depends on the tire. I've run 180 Pilot Road on a stock 4th gen without issue. Pilot Power would be a different story due to the more elliptical profile. I doubt it would be a serious issue, but the handling would be different for sure. Just something to be aware of.

Thanks for the feedback. 
I can definitely tell the difference between the 180 and the 170. 
I ran a Shinko 170 once and it was way wider than a normal 170. I figure a 180 must have a similar profile to that Shinko. 
just wasn’t sure if the integrity of the wider tire mounted on the stock rim would be affected. 
cant be much more variable than a worn tire or under-inflated tire. 
paul in SoCal

On 1/15/2020 at 4:22 PM, SamW said:

Or 3rd Gen wheel, even though the 3rd Gen ran a 170 tire, it is a 5.5" vs. 5" of the 4th Gen.

If I could find a 3G wheel that would be the way to go. 5G is more available on eBay.  But it’s a pain notching out the center of the wheel to match the 4G hub. 

• 1 month later...

You could try a 170 adventure spec tyre, e.g. Michelin Road 5 Trail, but they do have a different construction optimised for a softly-suspended, higher c-of-g adventure bike. No idea if it is better or worse than squeezing a normal 180 on the 5.00" rim.

So far, there are still enough 170s around to keep me happy. My next tyre is likely the Pirelli Angel GT2. Keen to compare it to the Dunlop Roadsmart III currently in use. 

Archived