Honda Grip Heaters

VFR4Me

• Member Contributer

Sorry can't help you much other than to say the A01 supercedes the A00. Also numerous sites talk of both A00 and A01 being only a 3 step heating control! The 8gen has 5 step.

Perhaps some tech feedback from Honda America might be needed. Can you e-mail Honda Customer Support?

Hopefully a member who has installed the kit might chime in with some advice.

• 4 months later...
On 1/19/2020 at 10:32 AM, economist said:

Yes, it is the same part the deluxe models use. 
The hardest part of the install was figuring out how to loosen the throttle cable to replace the right hand grip.

I don't suppose you documented the grip change and wiring to the new heated version?  Seriously wanting that Honda heat before Autumn.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 5:26 PM, Goldcrown44 said:

I don't suppose you documented the grip change and wiring to the new heated version?  Seriously wanting that Honda heat before Autumn.

I didn’t document anything but there is a detailed instruction manual pdf on Honda’s website that I followed.

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, fink said:

They are both effective. 

Which begs the question why do the OEM grips NOT work well enough on the Crossrunner? Or more importantly, why has Honda refused to do anything about the poor grip heating on the Crossie when they have already acknowledged that they know the bars sap the heat away. They know this because the Africa Twin had the same issue so they changed the bars and the issue vanished.

My 1200, 4 years older than my Crossie has fantastic heated grips so why don't they work on my other Honda?

Sorry for the thread drift, but as you can see, it makes me SO angry! 

• Member Contributer
On 1/30/2021 at 5:07 PM, Skids said:

Which begs the question why do the OEM grips NOT work well enough on the Crossrunner? Or more importantly, why has Honda refused to do anything about the poor grip heating on the Crossie when they have already acknowledged that they know the bars sap the heat away. They know this because the Africa Twin had the same issue so they changed the bars and the issue vanished.

My 1200, 4 years older than my Crossie has fantastic heated grips so why don't they work on my other Honda?

Sorry for the thread drift, but as you can see, it makes me SO angry! 

Do they not use the same grips? 

On 1/30/2021 at 12:02 PM, fink said:

They are both effective. 

Effective in what objective measurement?  My Oxfords are hardly effective at keeping my hands warm sub 25F for half an hour. Take a hand off the bar for more than a few seconds and all the heat gets sucked out.  It's such that I now just drive my truck to work when it's 20F or less.

By comparison my old style HotGrips wired in parallel were good for single digits and still capable of nearly burning your palms.

• Member Contributer
On 1/11/2020 at 9:53 PM, Grum said:

Sorry can't help you much other than to say the A01 supercedes the A00. Also numerous sites talk of both A00 and A01 being only a 3 step heating control! The 8gen has 5 step.

Perhaps some tech feedback from Honda America might be needed. Can you e-mail Honda Customer Support?

Hopefully a member who has installed the kit might chime in with some advice.

Honda could have changed their system, but the last digit of a typical Honda part number was known as the "subcontractor designation", which would suggest that the only difference in the two parts is that Honda tagged a new supplier at some point.  The two digits before that relate to the "modification designation", which is where they usually indicate that there is a difference in the parts.

Oh, one other thing: none of them work for me, but that's because when I rode in the cold I rode in traffic--which means that my fingers were usually covering the levers and, thus, not in contact with the grips.  I have had great success with heated gloves.  They just work.

Ciao,

JZH

Archived