Does 8 gen have this?

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

Hello 8th gen gentlemen. I have a question about the 8 gen brake and clutch master cylinders:

Question: do the OEM 8th gen brake and clutch master cylinders have the backing piece behind the sight glass for fluid level? In the photo below, the part I refer to is the metal plate that sits behind the actual sight glass window and has three slotted openings in it.

Big thanks to anyone who can take a glance at their 8th gen master cylinders and let me know. Even better would be if someone could post a photo of the sight glass on their 8th gen master cylinder.

79972A9A-67A2-4FF9-8240-26C7F190C9CD.jpeg.64717d1a1d8a2e5d1e338832e58b2ceb.jpeg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Grum said:

Interested to know. What's the concern about 8gen having or not having the backing piece behind the sight glass?

Well...funny you should ask, Grum. I had Samuelx's 8 gen in my sinister clutches for a fairly lengthy period last year while accomplishing a number of maintenance and upgrade tasks, one of which was bleeding/replacing brake and clutch actuation fluid. Both of us recall Honda master cylinder sight windows usually having the slotted part in question, but at the end of the service, we noticed that his 8 gen didn't have the part visible in either the brake or clutch master cylinder fluid viewing windows. As you can imagine, googling '2015 Honda VFR800 brake master cylinder sight window images' did not provide a pile of helpful results, so we started this thread to determine whether [1] the parts were there from the start and might need to be retrieved from the master cylinders' reservoirs before causing a catastrophic brake failure, or [2] we were just losing our minds

[The latter actually more likely and in this case, hoped for].

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, sfdownhill said:

Well...funny you should ask, Grum. I had Samuelx's 8 gen in my sinister clutches for a fairly lengthy period last year while accomplishing a number of maintenance and upgrade tasks, one of which was bleeding/replacing brake and clutch actuation fluid. Both of us recall Honda master cylinder sight windows usually having the slotted part in question, but at the end of the service, we noticed that his 8 gen didn't have the part visible in either the brake or clutch master cylinder fluid viewing windows. As you can imagine, googling '2015 Honda VFR800 brake master cylinder sight window images' did not provide a pile of helpful results, so we started this thread to determine whether [1] the parts were there from the start and might need to be retrieved from the master cylinders' reservoirs before causing a catastrophic brake failure, or [2] we were just losing our minds

[The latter actually more likely and in this case, hoped for].

Ah Ha, fully understand your concern, makes very good sense to be sure. Glad you can now relax in knowing that you aren't losing your mind :blink:

Cheers. :beer:

Archived