Best way to test ?

RS125

• Member Contributer

Specs & procedures widely available, search w/“google”. However, temperature can cause failure so heat parts to normal max. engine operating condition(approx. 220F)..best done in oven as difficult to control max. achieved w/ heat gun/ hairdryer devices...

• Member Contributer

The Stator you could run an Ohm meter over it.

1. With your meter on the lowest Ohms range measure the three output leads between each other you should read virtually 0 ohms, evenly between the phases.

2. With your Ohm meter on the highest Ohms range place one probe on any of the three output pins and the other on the iron core of the Stator, your should have no reading = NO shorts to frame.

Visually, if it's in good condition it shouldn't have a dark/blackened/burnt section of windings.

As for the R/R I only have info for a 6gen to check with an ohm meter. Be best to verify the R/R dynamically, it wouldn't be too hard to fit it to your bike for a quick run and with a volt meter confirm its output voltage at the battery.

works for me.  These may just be spares or artwork for the garbage can

Thanks  I figured Ohm  I guess I was lazy and didn't wanna search  Lol

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't throw out anything without actually trying it, unless it was a stator that tested bad AND was toasty black.  Working at a dealer for 12 years, I have seen good units test bad, and bad units test good.

Archived