‘86 vfr700

airwalk

• Member Contributer

As tag sez, acts exactly like kill switch clicked to “off” after 20-30 minute running. Restarts perfectly when cooled for 15-20 minutes.  Many frustrating days later glitch identified as one of the two pulser coils (inside/under) clutch cover going open w/heat & back to 550-ish ohms when cooled. 

If you want a long version PM, just hoping this post can save someone the pain/expense of grasping straws while chasing & needlessly replacing parts in frustration.

All goes back to using the shop manual and specs to ohm things out, well done. You were lucky to be able to catch it in the act, intermittent problems are often very difficult to fix and people end up throwing random parts at it until the symptoms go away.

• Member Contributer

learned a bunch of stuff about resistance & heat(most of which isnt in shop manual), things i never wanted to know & likely will never need to know again. 

Also, frustrating how many of the parts are NLA, ebay to the rescue!

• Member Contributer

next idea was going to be asking you as ive come to know theres a bunch of 700s in your collection. thanks for the follow/confirm

• 4 weeks later...

don't discard the pulse generator set cuz just one is bad.  since they're NLA, in future we may need to refettle the pair by mixing good coils onto assemblies where one has failed.

• Member Contributer

oddly enough thats my thinking/plan also, will measure & mark bad coil(use heat "gun" to induce fail mode).  shouldve done that when discovered but was so relieved to finally solve that i forgot until days after. briefly tried ohms yesterday so guess your thought came through somehow, even without checking in here for a few days!!  good to know I'm not the only one obsessed with these old bikes...

Archived