2020 Spring Memorial Ride May 14-17 (ON HOLD!)

• Member Contributer

Highlands Police Dept performing checks.

People are flocking to the mountains, during their time off, instead of staying home. Locals are reporting hiking trails, waterfalls, and other points of interest are packed. 

*Highlands is the next town SE of Franklin, through the Cullasaja Gorge (fantastic road, BTW).*

D1DA52F0-72C6-4E02-84E7-A67E22BF211D.jpeg

FA5FCD06-10F2-4736-A1E7-568E33530D18.jpeg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
On 3/26/2020 at 8:54 AM, Sweeper said:

Bob and I talked last night and there really was no way not to cancel. If things change, we can still have the event there just won't be shirts, food, tents, chairs, etc. Like a lot of you, this is my big event of the year and I plan to see it happen if at all possible. I've seen a lot of discussion on riding during the quarantine and folks not concerned about road closures. One thing you should check if you decide to go ahead is your insurance. Most companies will deny coverage if you are on a closed road. That could include your medical coverage in an accident. Be safe out there!

Stay tuned for updates on IF and WHEN. 

Thanks for the heads-up on the insurance. Travel between states may be tough if non-essential travel is banned in some places. I'd feel conspicuous hauling a motorcycle on a trailer. (Arthritis prohibits my riding there. NUTS!)

• Member Contributer

I agree with Maxswell, travel to and from may be a problem. I have to go through 9 states to get to Franklin, some of them not doing well at the moment. I don't mind if I get turned back on the way down, but if any of them put travel restrictions in place after I got there I'd be toast. I can't even run up to Canada and head east from there anymore.

I haven't canceled anything as yet but I'm going to think long and hard before I swing a leg over the VFR this May.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Nevermind The Constitution.  Amazing how quickly some people follow the herd instinct into Nazi-ism.  Swain county is up for lawsuits as are many other jurisdictions.  Problem is, no govt. "institution" would be like to hear any of that.  Power corrupts.  Motorcycles are just too much fun to allow them to operate......  Where there is a will, there is a way.  Is camping on private property likely to be discovered?  

• Member Contributer
On 4/12/2020 at 12:05 PM, Bent said:

Nevermind The Constitution.  Amazing how quickly some people follow the herd instinct into Nazi-ism.  Swain county is up for lawsuits as are many other jurisdictions.  Problem is, no govt. "institution" would be like to hear any of that.  Power corrupts.  Motorcycles are just too much fun to allow them to operate......  Where there is a will, there is a way.  Is camping on private property likely to be discovered?  

I'm not sure rediscovery is a good description of the situation. I've had a long history of camping, starting with Cub Scouts in grade school and up to light-weight backpacking, including winter camping, all my adult life. The backpacking regimen transfer extremely well into long-distance mc travel. And I've encounter other riders doing the same things.

I've done a lot of camping on long tours out west. There is a lot of free camping on federal Bureau Land Management (BLM) in the U.S. It is multi-use w/o restrictions. A local in a town just west of Capital Reef Nat'l Park in Utah explained "If you see a "driveway" w/o a mainbox off the highway or road, it is likely BLM land. National Forest land also allows "wildernes" camping unless noted otherwise. I've spent many nights in those places. It can involve primitive (no picnic table, no bathroom facilities) but that is just another chalenge to be met. Just make sure you have your own tp and a trowl. 

And many small towns with public parks allow camping in those parks which I also taken advantage of. I've found small town city parks to be another option. I would stop into a small town tavern for a post-ride beer and inquire if there was any camping in the area. Much of the time it's "Sure." it's just down the street. And then they'll tell me where to get a good supper and breakfast.    

I cannot speak to the situation in the eastern U.S, but the local city parks may allow it if they are open and have no "crowds" bigger than one or two people.

The interweb is a great resourse for research.

However, at 70 years old and arthritic, that regimen has become extremely tough and I do not do much of it any more. 

• Member Contributer

I will not make this meet . In Ontario ( great white north ) we are in lock down mode for another 28 days starting April 23 taking us until the end of May . It is going to be tough to get out and ride much for a while . Everybody take care and stay safe .

• 2 weeks later...

I'm disappointed to hear the ride is postponed or canceled, but I understand.  Here in Ohio we have a stay-at-home order, but I've been going for occasional drives and rides just to get out of the house.  I'm hoping by the time summer hits things are more relaxed and I can do a proper motorcycle trip, even if it isn't part of an organized event.

Stay healthy, everyone!

Archived