Hot Starting Problem

Lannyl81

• Member Contributer

Installed a stage 1 jet kit into my '97 due to using a slip-on with the dB killer plug out, to take care of the stumbling I had at take-off.

I set the pilot screws at 2 turns, did the synch, but not the idle drop, do not have the tach for that.

On the test ride went to fuel-up, distance of about 10 miles, engine up to temp, stopped at fuel station, engine off for several minutes as I fought with the pump not taking my credit card....gave-up and went to go to another pump, hit the START button, engine turned-over as usual, but would not catch/fire.  Tried multiple times, no go...finally gave the throttle a twist with START button down and engine fired-up.

Went to another pump, got fuel, this time I twisted the throttle with START button down and engine fired right up.

Sooooo is this the pilot screw setting incorrect?

Oh and bike ran GREAT!....no more stumble at take-off....yeah!

• Member Contributer

Fix one problem and the fix creates another new problem... great 🙂

So no change to idle jet - only main jet and needle. Right?

Assuming you changed nothing else and the carb sync was done as per Honda manual (I further assume only very small changes (1/10 turn max) was needed to sync  carbs).

Did you record the original position of mixture screws?

I would check that all mixture screws work and are about correct. Adjust by listening for change in RPM. I can write a simple "procedure" 🙂

• Member Contributer

Idle jet changed.  I did record the original mixture screw positions, but put all to 2 turns out per instructions.

I checked my '97 Service Manual and it has a different initial setting for the mixture screws than the 94-96 SM.....so I turned all screws in to about 1.5.  Cold engine started right up....cold being about 50°F air temp.  Idle was spot-on at 1k after a few minutes, choke off of course.  Will need to re-synch...will do that today.

Oh and yes, very small changes to the synch screws.

And getting to the fuel mixture screws.....#1 & #2 easy.....#4 not too bad....but #3!....would never be able to get to it with engine running without burning a lot of skin....not with the tool I have anyways.

• Member Contributer
On 1/7/2020 at 3:10 PM, Lannyl81 said:

Idle jet changed.  I did record the original mixture screw positions, but put all to 2 turns out per instructions.

I checked my '97 Service Manual and it has a different initial setting for the mixture screws than the 94-96 SM.....so I turned all screws in to about 1.5.  Cold engine started right up....cold being about 50°F air temp.  Idle was spot-on at 1k after a few minutes, choke off of course.  Will need to re-synch...will do that today.

Oh and yes, very small changes to the synch screws.

And getting to the fuel mixture screws.....#1 & #2 easy.....#4 not too bad....but #3!....would never be able to get to it with engine running without burning a lot of skin....not with the tool I have anyways.

1. Maybe I misunderstand what you write... You don't need to re-sync carbs because of change of jets or adjust to mixture

2. After you leaned the mixture screws (1/2 turn in) did you try a hot start?

3. Yeah - without the angled screwdriver you get to the point where you throw things through closed windows... 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Sorry for long delay here;

have continued to try different fuel mixture screws settings....1.5 to 2 turns out gives best idle sound.

I go ahead and re-check synch each time....just because. 

Archived