New bike, mystery regulator. Please help ID.

8200rpm

Bought a used 1998 with 33k.

I think an aftermarket R/R was installed but not sure which one (resembles a Rick’s) or if the wiring is kosher.

Help a rider out? Am I good to go for now, leave good enough alone, or does it need some immediate attention?

Thanks for your time!

AF925AFB-9B1B-452B-8D30-F712CE7B0927.jpeg

64DAC0DB-8820-46D8-A02A-8459870BE2FF.jpeg

79322FB0-5AE4-4771-AB97-D49EB85861EE.jpeg

9BF8AE33-1CD6-4620-B844-040A87785CA5.jpeg

8E157804-9097-470C-B36C-C1224B8B8E17.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Looks like a Rick's........that wire install job looks terrible.....redo it before it strands you on the side of the road....

Search for a charging test ...the drill.......and get a data point of the health of the system..

If the RR is fine, continue to use, if not replace with a Shindengen FH020aa.

www.roadstercycle.com

• Member Contributer

That’s a Rick’s. 

There’s no possible way I’d leave that garbage on there. When it fails, hopefully, you’ll be in your driveway and it doesn’t wreck your stator at the same time.

The ‘98 I bought had a brand new Rick’s R/R on it. First things I ordered for the bike were a Roadstercycle SH847 Kit, OEM Honda stator, and voltmeter. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, ducnut said:

That’s a Rick’s. 

There’s no possible way I’d leave that garbage on there. When it fails, hopefully, you’ll be in your driveway and it doesn’t wreck your stator at the same time.

The ‘98 I bought had a brand new Rick’s R/R on it. First things I ordered for the bike were a Roadstercycle SH847 Kit, OEM Honda stator, and voltmeter. 

Agreed, I would never intentionally use a Rick's...... either the FH020AA or SH847 is fine, although the 847 is physically larger and takes a bit of creativity to mount.

While I 'm at skip the Vfrness too.

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Agreed, I would never intentionally use a Rick's...... either the FH020AA or SH847 is fine, although the 847 is physically larger and takes a bit of creativity to mount.

While I 'm at skip the Vfrness too.

I chose on the bottomside of my undertray. On my SV650S, I mounted it under the seat, in the storage area. 

21470417-9A72-4D44-8C96-AC5230E5F843.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I'm running the FH020aa now, and if it ever wears out, I'll take the time to figure out a clean mount for SH847 on the OEM spot on my 5th gen. 

I got a used FZ-09 regulator off ebay, mounted it in the stock spot with I think one new hole drilled.  Ebay also has harnesses.  It's of the newer design, FH020 or similar.  Works great and stays cool so no need to increase airflow over it IMO.

• Member Contributer
On 12/28/2019 at 1:39 PM, mello dude said:

I'm running the FH020aa now, and if it ever wears out, I'll take the time to figure out a clean mount for SH847 on the OEM spot on my 5th gen. 

I lost my FH012 in 2017, but that was a used ebay special from an R1. Got an 020 brand new from Roadster to replace it.

On 12/27/2019 at 5:57 PM, mello dude said:

Looks like a Rick's........that wire install job looks terrible.....redo it before it strands you on the side of the road....

Search for a charging test ...the drill.......and get a data point of the health of the system..

If the RR is fine, continue to use, if not replace with a Shindengen FH020aa.

www.roadstercycle.com

Thanks for the “Drill”. I’ll bust out the multimeter next time I’m free to tinker. Spent a couple hours too many in the garage the past couple days doing my brakes. 

• 3 weeks later...

I installed a Rick's on mine more than 10 years ago and have not had any trouble with it all.  Charging voltage goes to 14.4 at 2500rpm and stays there right up to 10,000rpm.  I did change the stator at the same time and cleaned up every connection point in the charging system at the same time.

Archived