Mystery sealing washer during Sprocket change (Gen 5)

DSA

Hi,

I was doing a chain and sprockets change. To remove the front sprocket cover, I removed two of the clutch slave cylinder bolts, and then the two sprocket cover bolts. The slave cylinder is still attached to the sprocket cover; I've read posts saying that I should ziptie or rubber band the slave cylinder piston to stop it popping out, but I suppose this isn't an issue if you leave it connected to the sprocket cover?

In any case, in cleaning out the gunk that had accumulated on the back of the sprocket cover, I came across a sealing washer. I've got no idea where this goes. I can't seem to find any mention of it in the manual, or in the fiche. Any ideas? Please see pic attached. The seal is a broken circle, not sure if it is supposed to be that way or it just broke at some point.

The only possibility I can think of is that it is part number 24 in the diagram here: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2000/vfr800fi-ac-interceptor/left-crankcase-cover.

But seeing as I never removed the clutch slave cylinder from the sprocket...what do I do?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20191221_225449054.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks very much like an old Chain O Ring to me. Is it just rubber and about 10mm in dia? Your caliper isn't giving a good reading of size as it not touching the item! Assume it's around 10mm which matches the diameter of a chain O Ring. Nothing to worry about. 

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, joe678 said:

Looks very much like an old seal of the gear selector shaft to me. Maybe...

Way too small for that don't you think?

• Member Contributer

I’m with Grum. I have experienced split chain o-rings a couple of times. The centrifugal forces at the drive sprocket would probably be enough to throw a split o- ring into the accumulated gunk inside the cover. If you clean up the old chain you might find where it came from. It looks a bit like an XW ring from an RK chain.

Thanks so much for the input!

- It is rubber.

- Agreed, the caliper was only to provide a general size reference; without it, it's impossible to tell if the seal is tiny or massive, so I figured I'd throw it in. I took a more careful measurement, and it comes in at around 11 mm in OD. But this is after it split - I can easily see it being 10 when intact. 

- I took a more careful look at the fiche in the link I provided. According to that, the clutch rod seal at the back of the piston (#24) should be 18 mm in OD, which this one most definitely isn't.

- The chain o-ring suggestion was an excellent one. Both flat faces are grooved, as is the outer curved surface. I took a look at the o-rings of the master link of my brand new chain and they look exactly like this. I then took a look at the old chain - it's missing o-rings everywhere! The bike was massively neglected by the last owner and the old chain looked awful, but still, I'm really surprised to see that.

Looks like I've found the answer - thanks to this awesome community here. 

Archived