Desperate to Find Old Part

Calculon

• Member Contributer

I have an almost complete set of OEM luggage but am missing two critical parts for a proper installation.  They are either called landing pads or grab rail spacers, part numbers, 08L41-MCW-80012 and 08L41-MCW-800123.  Here is a photo of one of them, they are right and left pieces:

spacer-r_medium08L41MCW80012-01_ccdb.jpg

https://www.cmsnl.com/products/spacer_08l41mcw80012/#.Xf5T4RdKjsE

I've tried to track down a set and have come close once but in the end it didn't work out.  I have a friend that said it's possible to 3D print them but he needs a sample to scan.  I believe that the actual part is soft plastic or some kind of rubber but he thinks we can still make a workable piece with his printer.

If anyone can help me get a scan for a 3D printer, loan me theirs so I can scan or tell me if they know where I can find them would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately I don't have the right things to make a 3D scan of the pieces, and it would be overkill to ship it overseas.

But I have them mounted on my bike, and I can confirm that they are some kind of rubber. I can also do some measuring if that helps or send over some pictures.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, CiprianStoica said:

Unfortunately I don't have the right things to make a 3D scan of the pieces, and it would be overkill to ship it overseas.

But I have them mounted on my bike, and I can confirm that they are some kind of rubber. I can also do some measuring if that helps or send over some pictures.

I appreciate the response, personally I don’t know what steps are needed for the 3D scan either but I am talking to my printer right now to get appropriate info. Also appreciate you describing the material, discussing with them now if they have something similar.  Totally understand not shipping pieces, agree, total overkill. 

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, Calculon said:

I appreciate the response, personally I don’t know what steps are needed for the 3D scan either but I am talking to my printer right now to get appropriate info. Also appreciate you describing the material, discussing with them now if they have something similar.  Totally understand not shipping pieces, agree, total overkill. 

Hey. I used to work for a company called proto3000 (https://proto3000.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6sHzBRCbARIsAF8FMpVjYY0_3dsNJFCTrFeumTbZLx4m9-hHV8MXSqNjNwJVeaez2fptoCUaAqpnEALw_wcB).

I did 3D scanning/prototyping and reverse engineering. I no longer work for them, but If you give them a call, and get a quote for a scan I'd be more than happy to take the spacers off my 2009 and drop them off to get scanned.

They can provide you with the cleaned up STL file (the file that you'd need to print) or they can print it for you as well in a rubbery material.

Talk to Chris or John and let them know Nick S. sent you their way (https://proto3000.com/3d-scanning-services-quote/)

I hope this helps!

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, TriumphTraitor said:

Hey. I used to work for a company called proto3000 (https://proto3000.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6sHzBRCbARIsAF8FMpVjYY0_3dsNJFCTrFeumTbZLx4m9-hHV8MXSqNjNwJVeaez2fptoCUaAqpnEALw_wcB).

I did 3D scanning/prototyping and reverse engineering. I no longer work for them, but If you give them a call, and get a quote for a scan I'd be more than happy to take the spacers off my bike and drop them off to get scanned.

They can provide you with the cleaned up STL file (the file that you'd need to print) or they can print it for you as well in a rubbery material.

Talk to Chris or John and let them know Nick S. sent you their way (https://proto3000.com/3d-scanning-services-quote/)

I hope this helps!

Wow!  Cool and thanks. I’m traveling right now (in New Zealand) and will be home in about four days. I will follow up with them when I get home. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Thought I would give an update.  Triumph Traitor has offered up his pieces for scanning and through his recommendation I worked with his old company Proto3000 to recreate the parts.  Proto3000 just informed me at the end of last week that the parts were scanned and that they are now in the printing queue.  I didn't ask when the pieces would be completed and shipped but I would guess it should be relatively soon.  The one thing that was mentioned is that the material would not be the same, the OEM pieces were described as a foam rubber material and the recreated printed pieces will be thermoplastic elastomer.  So we will see.  I'm hoping this will work out.

And it should be mentioned here, a BIG THANKS to Triumph Traitor for going above and beyond to help me out.  It's truly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

And it's done... I hope.  As long as nothing falls off (crosses fingers).  I can't believe the engineers/designers who created the motorcycle and the OEM luggage rack were ever in the same room or even talked to one another.  Hopefully my journey is at an end with the luggage but probably not as I will show you a few issues.  As I had purchased a used kit I found out I was missing some pieces as this thread details.  I received my printed parts yesterday and added the luggage today.

vfrspacer.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Here is one of the printed pieces.  It's an elastomer plastic so it has some give and flex but not the same as the more rubbery OEM pieces.

vfrbagsclose3.jpg?width=1920&height=1080

vfrbagsclose2.jpg?width=1920&height=1080

It seats pretty well and once you turn the bolts it flexes into place.  Time will tell if weather and stress will damage the printed piece.

vfrbagsclose1.jpg?width=1920&height=1080

Unfortunately I had other missing pieces, the bolts that hold the grab rails were not included and the stock bolts are too short.  I had to go to the hardware store and pick these up, since they are hex-head bolts and not allen head the black caps do not snap into place.  If I can find some proper allen bolts I will replace.

vfrbags2.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

vfrbags1.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Here she is in all her glory.  Thankfully Honda used the same white paint on the 2006 (the used bags I bought) as the 2007.  I may add some vinyl pinstripes or stripes later.  Some of the other missing pieces in the used kit were some spacers that sit between the license plate holder and rear luggage bracket.  Because of this I could not get the license plate mount and light to lock down properly.  It's fastened tightly but because of some play it has some wiggle to it.

A very big thanks to TriumphTraitor, my luggage would still be sitting in my house in boxes had he not come through with his contacts and his sample pieces for scanning.  I have the 3D file if anyone ever needs these pieces.  You will have to find your own printer, I used Proto3000 in Ontario.  I should add the crew at Proto3000 were amazingly helpful.  I don't know how many small one-off projects they get but they treated me like a big-time customer.

• Member Contributer

She is certainly a beauty of a bike! I'm really glad to see the printed parts came out beautifully. 

2 hours ago, Calculon said:

I can't believe the engineers/designers who created the motorcycle and the OEM luggage rack were ever in the same room or even talked to one another. 

As an engineer, I can sadly promise you that the engineers working on the bike had no idea that there was a set of engineers working on the accessories! It's quite unfortunate.

I actually might have the other parts/brackets you need to finish the mounting to the fender... But I'd have to go poking through some boxes (i'm packing up to move in a few weeks and have a bunch in storage. Yes, I know horrible timing).

If I can find them, I'd be more than happy to send them if you cover shipping. I'll keep you posted.

None the less, Safe Riding! And congrats on a beautiful install.

• Member Contributer

Really nicecly done! :beer:

Next trip to hardware store, you could pick up some plastic caps as an alternative perhaps?

image.png.b9e4f27d1022ea881b12a5123e9002fa.png

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, TriumphTraitor said:

As an engineer, I can sadly promise you that the engineers working on the bike had no idea that there was a set of engineers working on the accessories! It's quite unfortunate.

I actually might have the other parts/brackets you need to finish the mounting to the fender... But I'd have to go poking through some boxes (i'm packing up to move in a few weeks and have a bunch in storage. Yes, I know horrible timing).

If I can find them, I'd be more than happy to send them if you cover shipping. I'll keep you posted.

None the less, Safe Riding! And congrats on a beautiful install.

The more I think about it I believe the luggage was thought of after the bike was designed.  Just too many goofy spacers and hidden bolt on brackets.  One of the advantages of having an 07, there is a tail bracket/mount that is hidden behind the plastic mud guard.  On older model gen 6's you have to add that from the luggage kit.  That part was already a part of my bike in stock form so it saved me a great deal of extra work.   Modern bikes are so much more sophisticated and simplified with the factory luggage, my buddies gen 8 and my Versys 650 have some of the most elegant attachment points and no metal framework or brackets.

Appreciate you looking for extra pieces.  I don't the exact name of the missing parts on my bike but they are the spacers that feed into the tail license plate mount and rear mud flap.  The Honda instructions are so poor it doesn't really detail the parts clearly.  That was my biggest surprise, the crappy instructions.  I'm guessing whoever they contracted made them, probably GIVI, it has their lousy fingerprints all over it.

6 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Next trip to hardware store, you could pick up some plastic caps as an alternative perhaps?

Thanks for the idea.  I'm not the handiest guy around but I have a few skills and the more you do the more you learn.

Is it possible to send me the scan files?, I have been looking for these for quite some time but am unable to find the spacers.
The only thing is I live in the Netherlands, so having them made by a company in the US will probably give me a huge bill for sending.

So having it 3d printed myself might be a better idea.

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, Wackywabbit said:

Is it possible to send me the scan files?

I've added the files to the Download section here at VFRDiscussion, you can find it here:  

Good luck getting them printed.  It's important to use the right material, has to be a softish/flexible elastomer.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Wackywabbit said:

No permission to download

I'll ask the admin.  There is an approval process for downloadable content, maybe it hasn't been approved yet.

• Member Contributer

I just tried to download myself and it worked.  It is my account however.  Could someone else please try and download the file?

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, Calculon said:

Looks like the file has been approved. Someone want to give it another try?

Downloaded no problem! 2 STL files ready for slicing and printing

• Member Contributer

I managed to make it over to my bike parts bin.. I thought I still had the pieces for the rack but I guess I used them for another project. Sorry!

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, TriumphTraitor said:

I managed to make it over to my bike parts bin.. I thought I still had the pieces for the rack but I guess I used them for another project. Sorry!

Thanks for looking. Took it out for an extended test ride today and nothing fell off. All is good!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Wackywabbit said:

Yes, 3d printing finished!

Thanks again for the files.

Cool!  Hope it works for you too. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

This is awesome!  I downloaded the file and will find someone to print it for me.  Mine are deteriorating and would love to get replacements.  Thanks so much for sharing the file!

Archived