My $2000 Craigslist 5th Gen [pic]...

8200rpm

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, 8200rpm said:

Tenere 700 is 450lb wet. Seems like that might be the sweet spot. Price it under $10k. 

That’s a viable target for the yet to be unveiled mid weight Africa Twin if they don’t want to challenge the F850 or Tiger 800 which is now a 900 now anyway. 

If that bike had electronic cruise control, I’d seriously consider trading my Tiger.

KTM have announced a 450cc twin lineup, which will have an Adventure model included. I’m curious to see how that plays out, especially on the Husky side with their new Norden models. 

12 hours ago, Skids said:

Or just import a VFR800X 😆😉

An absolute barge. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, ducnut said:

An absolute barge. 

And yet a legacy 800 VFR would be fine?

9 hours ago, Skids said:

Good point. They weigh practically the same. 

Im partial to the impractical sport bikes like the RC30 or RC45 or 900rr. A sport bike that can commute and reel in highway miles to get to the canyons without too much discomfort is a justifiable purchase for me. 

Those Euro touring bikes are just not that interesting to me. If comfort is that much of a priority for commuting or highway touring, I might as well just drive a car. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Skids said:

I’m not sure what a “legacy 800 VFR” is.

I just know the 800X is ~530lbs and taller/higher in every way, to the VFR800F. That only serves to make the bike more cumbersome. And, at that weight, there are far more capable, better equipped bikes available, for roughly the same money. 

• Member Contributer
On 12/24/2019 at 5:20 PM, ducnut said:

I’m not sure what a “legacy 800 VFR” is.

I just know the 800X is ~530lbs and taller/higher in every way, to the VFR800F. That only serves to make the bike more cumbersome. And, at that weight, there are far more capable, better equipped bikes available, for roughly the same money. 

Your first sentence is factually correct (incidentally the same kerb weight as the 800F), however I'd argue your second; I find the wider bars give greater leverage and therefore steering is easier and more precise.

As for the last part, well we all see different things in different bikes and it can often be surprising when we actually ride a bike just how different we feel about it.

The Crossrunner section on here is not very busy, mainly I think because the bike is not available in N America, but we have many converts from other adventure-style manufacturers including BMW, Triumph and Ducati, who all seem very, very happy with their move to the 800X on another site. And in the end, it is a VFR.

Each to their own.  :beer:

Archived