New Guy from Ontario - Canadian, EH!

raYzerman

• Member Contributer

Just to introduce myself, lusted after a Gen5 forever, finally got one coming.  I've had quite a few bikes over the years, do all my own wrenching and looking forward to learning all about the Viffer.  I've been reading up a lot around here already and elsewhere, so at some point I'll perhaps ask some questions. 

I pick up my 1999 Pearl Shining Yellow in the next couple of weeks.  Cheers, Ray.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

While you wait for your banana VFR, there's no harm in posting pictures of previous rides.....  :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Welcome Abaord Rayzerman! There’s loads of information to be found here that’s for sure, also one of the best web forums you’ll find.

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys!  Back in the 70's I had a 1958 Dunstall Norton 600, then a Honda 350.... had to give up bikes for a while, got back into it 2006 with a WeeStrom, Honda ST1300, Goldwing, FJR1300 (sold it then a '14 FJR1300), and this year a 2009 Honda CBF1000A (not sold in the US).  I've spend all year making it into my lighter sport touring machine for travelling.  Like it so much I sold the FJR a couple of weeks ago to a very good friend of mine, so I'll see it lots (I'm sorta an FJR guru, will keep hanging out with those guys).... of course, I wanted that Viffer too, so pulled the trigger on that.   It's gonna be fun, and I want to keep having fun while I can still ride (70th birthday coming up).

I'll try posting a pic of the Biffer taken in Ohio last June........

20190607_121253.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 12/12/2019 at 8:31 PM, raYzerman said:

Just to introduce myself, lusted after a Gen5 forever, finally got one coming.  I've had quite a few bikes over the years, do all my own wrenching and looking forward to learning all about the Viffer.  I've been reading up a lot around here already and elsewhere, so at some point I'll perhaps ask some questions. 

I pick up my 1999 Pearl Shining Yellow in the next couple of weeks.  Cheers, Ray.

Greetings from a fellow Ontarian! Congrats on the new purchase, you'll love it

• Member Contributer

Congrats and Welcome, don't worry about your 70th coming up, there's lots of us Old Farts on this forum! :fing02:. A good well cared for 5th gen is a Great machine, just be aware the V4 engine won't be as smooth as your FJR inline 4, its just the nature of the beast.

Look forward to pics of the new/old bike.

Cheers.:beer:

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, raYzerman said:

Thanks guys!  Back in the 70's I had a 1958 Dunstall Norton 600, then a Honda 350.... had to give up bikes for a while, got back into it 2006 with a WeeStrom, Honda ST1300, Goldwing, FJR1300 (sold it then a '14 FJR1300), and this year a 2009 Honda CBF1000A (not sold in the US).  I've spend all year making it into my lighter sport touring machine for travelling.  Like it so much I sold the FJR a couple of weeks ago to a very good friend of mine, so I'll see it lots (I'm sorta an FJR guru, will keep hanging out with those guys).... of course, I wanted that Viffer too, so pulled the trigger on that.   It's gonna be fun, and I want to keep having fun while I can still ride (70th birthday coming up).

I'll try posting a pic of the Biffer taken in Ohio last June........

20190607_121253.jpg

I hope I am still riding at 70....14 years to go!

Just hope my 2002 VFR will be with me when I get to that point as the trouble and strife keeps telling me I’m too old to be on that thing😩

safe riding

• Member Contributer

I bought the 1954 Gilera from a guy who is 84..... 

He just ordered a new Royal Enfield...  :beer:

Welcome from the deep south. There are quite a few members from your neck of the woods. Sometimes I think they will out number those of us from this side of the curtain. Watch for the Spring Memorial Ride in May. You won't find better people to hang out and ride with.

• Member Contributer

Thanks again..... I do hope to be riding when I'm 84, so I have time!  A friend advised a couple of years ago to downsize while you're still able to ride, and enjoy it for the next 10 years rather than "have to" quit because of a heavy bike. Makes sense to me, I know I'll have to give it up one day......  The whole reason for buying the CBF1000 was to shed weight, lost 150 lbs over the FJR... the CBF is one of the smoothest power trains out there with nice torque all through the range... nothing like it to me (except maybe a Bandit 1200/1250.  I expect the VFR to be slightly more sporty in it's power delivery but still smooth enough running (V4's are awesome!).  It may not get equal time with the CBF, but I'm sure I'll have fun..... I can imagine me trailering both to the great roads of North Carolina and having a ball for a week or so.

I always thought of the Viffers as having a more Euro/Oz/Canadian following as were the Biffers.... happy the VFR made it to the US market, means I can find parts!  I did some homework on the Crossrunner last night... darn we didn't get that here as I'd kinda like to know what the modern version is like..... along with the most recent VFR800's, but we'll save that for a year or two maybe.

Sweeper, I have a couple of good (FJR) friends from AL, I'll keep an eye out for the Memorial Ride.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum from your southern neighbor.

As an owner of a yellow 2000 VFR, I predict you will be quite happy with your new machine. At least I hope so. And you may notice that the yellow machine takes 30 years off your age; it also attracks the opposite gender like flies, although I cannot attest to that first hand.

Archived