AS3 Silicone Coolant Hoses

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

A while back I had purchased a set of AS3 silicone coolant hoses for my 5 Gen and for the most part the kit was complete, well if you had a 98-99 5 Gen the kit would have been complete. However, for the 00-01 models, which have the wax idle unit, there were two hoses that were not part of the kit. Well after a few phone calls and quite few emails from myself and sfdownhill, we were able to get AS3 to make the two hoses that were not available a few months ago. So for any 00-01 owners who are looking at silicone coolant hoses, they cab be assured that the kit will be complete for the 00-01 5 Gen.

That being said, there's always a price to pay right? Of course there is. On the one hand, the hoses are now available but on the other, since the new hoses are quite a bit larger in diameter than the OEM hoses, fitment without modification to a mounting bracket may make installation a bit difficult. I received the two hoses from AS3 a while ago but was only able to get to the installation this past weekend. With that, here is what I found...

For starters, both hoses are pretty close to the OEM hoses, with one slight issue, the hose that comes from the left side of the bike to the wax unit appears to be a little too long as-is. We'll have to let AS3 know but being that it's longer, actually makes it not that big of a deal, as a razor knife can take care of the length pretty easily.

Here are the hoses compared to the OEM...

This is the hose that Honda doesn't make anymore and was one that SF and I were able to acquire from eBay and send to to AS3 to build theirs from.

IMG_5422.thumb.jpeg.c5eae9821fab1afb35a42d7aae6b9d87.jpeg

This hose is actually still available from Honda and is the one that was a bit longer than the OEM hose. I ended up cutting mine down to size.

IMG_5423.thumb.jpeg.8d07f5075b18b9a267845a0522babeee.jpeg-

Now that I had the two "missing" hoses, I proceeded to install them and this is where I found a slight issue with the larger outer diameter of the hoses. The OEM bracket that the wax unit bolts onto has an adequate opening for the OEM hoses but would be too small for these two hoses.

(Fitting the cut down hose)

IMG_5425.thumb.jpeg.d87b6c13f77002eec90d12480cc602ab.jpeg

(Attempting to fit the other hose)

IMG_5426.thumb.jpeg.db72df67d80999e96f33bddec94a0d65.jpeg

You'll notice the markings I made on the bracket with a sharpie, this was to get an approximate area to cut out for the hoses to fit.

Once I removed the bracket, I then measure about 5mm in from the edges of the bracket and cut out the metal.

IMG_5427.thumb.jpeg.cadd33a169a2e263faa654e7769a55f4.jpeg

Not quite as clean as I was hoping for but it was the best I could do with my Dremel.

59684311432__2A15AB1E-D001-4501-A0FD-FEBC7BC67F0C.thumb.jpg.c36b8887667ddd114575cc0045f85abe.jpg

I probably didn't need to take so much off but I wanted to do one cut and since the bracket is pretty sturdy, I went for my previous measurements.

IMG_5432.thumb.jpeg.422936494613282cbff440dfa689ee8d.jpeg

IMG_5433.thumb.jpeg.9c901bca81d0447c4093a1e5e77cefdd.jpeg

As one might expect with all the different hoses and clamps that are needed, the hose clamps created another issue. I was able to get the lower hoses clamp from underneath as if I had it setup to tighten from above, the clamp screw would have gotten in the way of the curved black hose that is above it. even then, it was a little tricky trying to tighten the clamp from below but tilting the TB assembly sideways, I was able to get it.

Well that's what I got for you. Hope this will be helpful to those looking for an AS3 hose kit for their 00-01 5 Gen.

I thought Samco was the only player in town. The Samco Gen 5 silicons kit is $468!!!

$135 for the AS3 kit is about the same as Honda OE (98-99) hoses a la carte (without the NLA upper middle radiator hose 19504-mbg-000). 

Thanks for sharing!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, mello dude said:

Gotta link for the AS3 kit?

Here's their Honda VFR800 page.

https://www.as3performance.co.uk/silicone-radiator-hoses/road/honda/vfr-800/

For anyone looking to order, if you have a 98-99, the 5 Gen kit will be complete, at least mine had all the hoses for those two model years. If ordering for an 00-01, I would suggest an email or phone call to ensure the two wax unit hoses not part of the "original" 98-99 kit get included. I'm not sure if they are items thrown in on all 5 Gen kits now that they have them made or that you have to ask for them, so the latter would be the path I would take, just to be sure. BTW, I also recommend getting their hose clamp kit.

FYI, SF and I had been corresponding with Ben and I think he is in charge of customer service so he would be the one in the know in regards to the two wax unit hoses. You can let him know it was the hoses that Darryl and Lance had worked with him on getting made if he needs clarification.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Duc2V4 said:

Hmmmm, Black or Red or Blue.... wow what a great vendor! Lots n lots of cool stuff.... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I installed this kit on my 98 and find it to be high quality and excellently priced. AS3 sells on ebay also... with free shipping iirc.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, mello dude said:

Hmmmm, Black or Red or Blue.... wow what a great vendor! Lots n lots of cool stuff.... :fing02:

I bought Blue for my Red 5 Gen and Red for my Black 6 Gen. The latter has a red and black theme going.

• 6 months later...

I found I had to replace these hoses recently(one was leaking), they are available on the AS3 website  AS3 website, if you search for part numbers:

18070 - black

18071 - red

18072 - blue

The full hose kits are at: AS3 VFR800Fi hose kits

One hose was still too long, but easy enough to cut to size.

As above, the wax unit bracket needed modifying to give a bigger opening (the sliver one on top shows where metal was removed)

Bracket overlay.jpg

I  also found that it was easier to attach the AS3 hoses at the wax unit first and then the other ends(thermostat and engine take off) as the throttle bodies were installed as the new clips are bigger than the originals

AS3 top view.jpg

Archived