No WSBK in 2020

St. Stephen

• Member Contributer

Racing isn't a big topic on VFRD these days, but I have to mention that Dorna has posted the 2020 WSBK schedule, and Laguna Seca--the only North American round--is off the schedule. Argentina is the only race in the western hemisphere.

I know that Laguna Seca and SCRAMP do not have their act together these days, but hey, COTA is now our only world championship road race.  Maybe I'll move to Spain...

• Member Contributer

That's a bummer. I enjoyed WSBK at Laguna in '16 and this year. Maybe they'll come to the Circuit of the Northwest or something in the future. I wonder what MotoAmerica will do with all the extra time that weekend. More races for each class?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

I know that Laguna Seca and SCRAMP do not have their act together these days…

That's perhaps a bit harsh. Between the gentrified developments complaining about the very existence of Laguna Seca and the feckless Monterey County board of supervisors it'd be tough for anyone to do better.

Monterey County have, in a very suspicious manner, dumped SCRAMP as managers for Laguna Seca: Monterey County sham 

Don't forget that SCRAMP built Laguna Seca more than 60 years ago on what was then US Army land that was later deeded to the county. By contrast, COTA has benefitted from a very sweet deal with the state of Texas - not that there's anything wrong with that.

I know that many -most - of you have never had the fortune to visit Laguna Seca. It is a beautiful place to see a race, though not always with the most exciting racing. Set in a bowl-like valley with grassy slopes dotted with oak trees, and if you clamber up top there are lovely vistas in every direction. You can walk beside the track almost the whole way 'round, and often find yourself mere feet from the racers. 

There is plenty of accommodation within 30 minutes of the facility, though I prefer Pacific Grove/Monterey. On Saturday night in Monterey they close Cannery Row to car traffic but there'll be hundreds of motorcycles displayed all along the street. Also great for people watching - all sizes, shapes, and colours.

Also, Northern California has some fantastic motorcycling roads that those with a few extra days vacation can entertain themselves with. 

MotoAmerica has a tentative date of July 10-12, 2020 so fingers' crossed there'll be some on-track action at Laguna Seca next year.

• Member Contributer

Sad to learn Laguna Seca is off the schedule... here is some insight to what is going on...

https://racer.com/2019/11/19/insight-monterey-county-sham/

2015WSBK (17).JPG

LagunaSeca220.JPG

• Member Contributer

I'm glad I made the time to go this past July.

We're planning to put Austin on the travel schedule in 2020, probably Rossi's last go around. And the Marquez brothers both on Hondas...

• Member Contributer

No way!!!  close Laguna Seca and keep a place where they cannot even lay down tarmac?

https://www.crash.net/wsbk/news/931114/1/worldsbk-riders-critical-dangerous-argentina-track

God forbid they ever shut down Assen....

HPIM1696.thumb.JPG.f4ca87e480cb93ca6f3bdb578ad79737.JPG

Archived