Are gen5 and gen6 levers interchangeable?

simo5555

Question

So as the title says, do gen5 levers fit onto the gen6 bike? I have the gen6 vtec model and previous owner had installed some Chinese aftermarket levers on it. They´re pretty good and i really like them, but they´re a bit short for me. So i was digging around and found the long version of the same levers online. But they´re for the 1998-2000 model so i was thinking is there any real difference between them? Can i install and use them on my bike?

7 answers to this question

7 hours ago, jkboyd said:

Clutch levers are the same brake levers are different.

Are you sure they´re different? Was digging around myself too and found that the gen5 and gen6 levers even share the same part number.

• Member Contributer

In the US the clutch levers are the same but the brake levers are different. The brake lever part numbers are:

2000 53170-MAT-E01

2006 53170-MBW-006

I have an 00 and an 06 and 07 and the brake levers are definitely different. The 00 has a cup on the lever that pushes a rod against the piston on the MC whereas the 06/07 just has a flat section that pushes the piston (if that makes sense). The front master cylinders aren't the same either, they have different piston diameters.

Maybe 6th gens previous to 06 used the same levers as 5th gens?  By the way, Superhawk and 6th gen brake levers interchange. 

Archived