Do these foot controls (shifter and rear brake levers) look okay to you?

8200rpm

• Member Contributer

I am sure this same question was asked many months ago with very similar photos. Maybe others have had this issue as well?

Thanks guys. Shame on me for buying a bike in the dark at night. I brought a bright work light but missed this one. 

I knew that the fairings had some tip over damage, but did’t think it would be enough to bend the controls.

Bike has a murky history as the PO only had her for 6 months. I have no idea how many total PO’s it’s had.  I do know the title is clean and clear, and there’s no history of insurance payouts.

I dismissed the lack of clear history, missing service records, some cosmetic flaws and minor mechanical issues (old rubber seals/hoses and missing fasteners) because it was priced below average market price.

Still a solid ride. I’m happy to finally own a V4 with gear driven cams. 

3 minutes ago, RobF said:

A similar discussion with a tip from MaxSwell on how you might straighten the levers:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/88276-is-my-brake-pedal-bent/

Thank you for sharing! I’ll put it in my vise and get it straightened out. 

• Member Contributer

Some states put a prefix letter on the title ( A=1, B=2, etc.) to indicate how many times the vehicle has been titled.  This may give you an idea on how many previous owners.

• Member Contributer

Definitely bent (pretzeled, really).  The shift lever is easy to find second-hand, and fits other VFRs (like my 3rd gen).  Brake lever looks expensive to me!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I have the same problem...

Bike dropped to the right when parking. ( I changed my mind at the last moment...) lost it!!!

i didn’t know I had damaged it.....

I will try the remedy?

A new footbrake pedal in the UK is £50ish.......

Stuck them in a vise and bent them straight.

Shifter was easy. Put the toe piece in the vise and applied leverage from the open clamp end that attaches to the gearshift spindle.

Brake pedal was a bit more stubborn. Put the pivot side in the vise. Slipped a 26mm extended handle box wrench onto the step end and pulled it straight. 

32190BD6-50BC-4BBC-877C-2A5D86BBBEFA.jpeg

B8289E23-DE51-4575-949B-87A197209701.jpeg

6 hours ago, Grum said:

Looking good, just like new again, well done.:fing02:

I wouldn’t go that far, but it’s good enough.

Can’t let perfect be the enemy of good. My wallet can’t afford perfect.

I have to constantly remind myself that achieving cosmetic and even mechanical perfection on a 20 year old motorcycle can become a hard lesson in the law of diminishing returns. 

• Member Contributer

I’m just wondering how you remove a brake pedal from a 5th gen VFR? There seems to be an exhaust pipe in the way?

B7189299-30C7-404D-9462-A87B8DC48410.jpeg.5ad536c943ea50779a1cf1e0b2886ab6.jpeg

The exhaust didn’t pose a clearance issue on my ‘98. Once I unhooked the springs, pedal slipped right off. 😮

Yep. The washer and circlip was missing! It’s amazing all the little parts I find missing on this bike. 

Archived