Tachometer not working!

Aris

• Member Contributer

Have you noticed that your bike is hard to start or Vtec doesn't work or kick in under normal operating characteristics? If so there might be a problem with your ignition pulse generator/wiring to it. If your Vtec works as normal follow the below troubleshooting guide directly from the Honda service manual.

image.png.1007ea270e51db66d47670757ede2ab6.png

Seeing that your VFR is a 6th Generation bike makes me wonder if your tachometer problem might be due to Grounding (rather than Power).  It is a known fact that the 6th Generation VFRs have a Multi-Connector Plug that can cause weak path-to-ground problems with everything and anything on the front of the bike.  If I remember correctly this is the infamous "Blue Connector" problem.

I'm not a 6th Gen owner, so there are probably others here on the forum who could give better/more accurate advice on how to determine if your VFR is having grounding problems due to "Blue Connector" issue.

• Member Contributer

Do you have the Service Manual? You can download it from this site if you haven't.

If you a good with a multimeter, check you have good continuity from the ECM B11 Yellow/Green wire back to the instrument panel plug. Make sure at the ECM the pin/socket for B11 is clean and good. Also make sure your instrument ground is good, however if it wasn't I would imagine there would be many other functions not working!

Failing that you may need to remove and open up the instrument panel and check for poor connections internally to the Tacho, perhaps the Tacho itself has failed.

Good Luck

Archived